Question about possible PTSD
I am a 25 yr old female who has been having increasing amounts of nightmares about a certain incident at my old job and was trying to get an opinion about it. I used to work at a state psychiatric hospital for 8 months earlier this year on a max-security unit with adult males and there were several times where I was physically assaulted at work. However, I was assaulted by one patient towards the end of my time working there (I just couldn't psychically take it anymore so I left) that has been causing me to have nightmares the last 4 1/2 weeks or so. At first, I just had 1 nightmare a week for the first two weeks, then last week I had 2 nightmares, then this week I have already had 2 nightmares back to back. It wasn't getting to me to much at first, but this morning after having the nightmare, I had bad chest pains right under my sternum about a minute after I woke up and it lasted a good 15 mins. This is the first time that I have had physical symptoms from one of these nightmares. These nightmares are only about this one patient, but it seems as if the whole scenario of when I was assaulted changes; It's not like how he assaulted me originally and more times than not, the nightmares make it more gruesome. I have been hurt worse by some of the other patients on the unit, but for some reason, this is the one patient that I keep having the nightmares about. It hasn't affected my day (except for the lack of sleep) and I live a normal married life (and I do work in psych again, but with kids instead which is a much better fit for me) I am just wondering if this is going to be the beginning of something I hope it's not (PTSD?) Any advice would be helpful. Thank you so much:)
One more thing the assault happened back in June but the nightmares didn't start happening until September
PTSD can show up months later. the nightmares could be an indication that you have anxiety issues concerning your experience by the time my symptoms emerged i was already thinking about what happened to me everyday you may try counseling or group therapy to help out you may develop PTSD