PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
Relapse?

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Relapse?

When I was 3, I witnessed a brutal murder and was diagnosed with PTSD. However I had an excellent child therapist and I recovered very well. However my question is does PTSD ever truly go away, and even if it does, can I relapse? Also, The only thing I struggle with now is SAD, could that be related in anyway? I know I asked alot of questions, but answering any one of them would help :)
I personally think it stays with you.  

I was being treated for numerous things when I got diagnosed.  I repressed some bad memories from my childhood, had them exposed in therapy and then dealt with.  I certainly feel better today, but I have anxiety on different levels.  
i think that it always stays with you i was diagnosed with PTSD from combat since '94 and i am not the same anymore i live with intense fear all the time i have flashbacks and nightmares too
I personally think it stays with you.  

About SAD.... I'm not a doctor so I have no clue if the PTSD and the SAD can be related.  There might be something there, especially if the seasons that bother you correlate with the time of year that the event took place.  To me, that makes total sense....

I've not been diagnosed with SAD, but I totally understand it.  Winters are so long and typically so cold where I am.  When the first snow flies, everyone in the family kind of says, "oh damn.... here we go."  I completely understand.  The next thing I think is, its a few months and then spring is here....

With the PTSD.  When I was diagnosed, I was told to imagine the PTSD as something that you look at in the rear view mirror.  It's there, but as you move forward, you get further and further away.  It's still there, but eventually it really isn't visable.  

I'd suggest that you reuse the tools that your therapist introduced you too to help cope, and perhaps it wouldnt be a bad idea to see a therapist on a regular basis, if you aren't already.