PTSD / Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Community
how long does PTSD last

This community is for discussions relating to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

how long does PTSD last

How long does PTSD last ?  I think I have had it 30 years.
Untreated PTSD can last any length of time. There can be good days and bad days, but It won't necessarily just go away because time has passed. Seek therapy and figure it out.
group therapy is a good start i go to it  :)
Not certain, but flashes can go on indefinitely from what I've heard.  If you are suffering an episode just now, would be good to see therapist.
I thought it was a chronic life long illness.
i have had PTSD since '94
My phycologist has diagnosed me with PTSD on top of my GAD, OCD, depression. My PTSD symtpoms are what I'm struggleing the most from now. I'm not sure how to cope with it my self. I'm on Luvox 200mg and seeing my phycologist every 2 week's.

My stress level since a home invasion has spiked big time. I snap at my kids when I dont want to specially if they suprise me. Most of the time I can regain my calm self but there are still a lot of time I have to ask them go play a let me relax for while to calm down. The home invasion has made me feel like I cant protect my kids like I'm a danger to my kids. It also has made me feel like I dont deserve to make friends or have them as it was a friend's boyfriend that smashed his way in my house while kids were at my house playing during a party. I'm also extreamly stressed out around b'day and simular events. Recognising how the effent has effected you is part of the process you need to start exposing but I've been told PTSD is one of the hardest to over come. My phycologist has been talking about starting some exposure type therapy soon. Not sure I understand what will be happening but he's been talking about from time to time to prepare me. Haveing a therapist has really made a huge difference. Med's are a good help as well they control the intensity of flash backs and intursive thoughts and images, but nothing replaces exposure and letting feeling happen.

take it easy
The short answer is that PTSD lasts until it is treated.

PTSD is not inherently a lifelong condition, but many have suffered throughout their lives.

PTSD can be a very difficult condition to treat and treatment success varies depending on the type of trauma, the duration and intensity of the symptoms, and other associated issues (e.g., substance abuse, depression, life stress).

As was referenced in another response, exposure therapy is one of the more effective treatment approaches. Exposure therapy is designed to help individuals separate the current symptoms from the past trauma, allowing recognition that although something dangerous/painful/terrifying happened in the past, it is not happening now and that memories, thoughts, physical sensations (i.e., triggers) do not biologically require an emotional reaction. If we can break that association and separate the present from the past, we can experience relief. It will obviously never make the trauma go away, but it can relieve the present-day suffering.
Mine is constant. I try my best to get through it.. some days I break down.. sometimes I dont leave my house. Exposure therapy did not help me at all. I know it works for others.. but there are some things people experience that exposure therapy doesnt work for.. But I do know of friends who this has helped immensly... for me.. its constantly there... but there are days that I am pretty darn ok.... and others..where I am a mess . I take medication when I am having a bad day.. or week.. or month.. it depends.. I see a therapist when I need too..  I know it sounds really corny.. but that movie. meet the robinsons.. i watch it alot.. i try.. to keep moving forward.. even when i slide back.  
I bet there are also things such as what I went through which it would not be legal to put someone through exposure therapy for as well.