Pain Management Community
L2 Hemangioma???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

L2 Hemangioma???

I have lived by the grace of God through several car accidents. I have lived with back and neck pain for several years. About a year and a half ago, the pain got worse. I sought help from my Primary Care Doc. She sent me to a Neurologist. The neurologist did and EMG and found issues with C3-C7 and L2, L3 and S1. MRI and X-Rays were done. The C spine shower mild to moderate disk degeneration, 1 to 2.5 cm disk bulges. According to what I had been told about the L spine, there was nothing remarkable. I have had 2 epidurals in the C spine and 2 more L spine. In addition to 8 trigger point injections. I have a TENS unit and a Muscle stim machine to supposedly assist with keeping lower abs muscles and back muscles in shape. I have been on a wide variety of meds (Neurontin, Lyrica, Soma, Darvocet, Tylenol 3, Norco, Vicodin, Motrin, and Percocet) none of which work and only occasionally take the edge off. Recently my PM doc did a Radio Frequency Ablation on the L spine. Still no relief. I can not sit or stand for any lengthy period of time. Bending in unbearable as is walking or lifting ANYTHING! Today I was given my MRI report for my L spine to take to a rheumatologist ("to be sure we haven't missed anything"). On the report it shows that the only thing that they can find in my L spine is a 1.4 cm hemangioma @ L2. I also suffer from BM difficulty, pain in my hip, crushing sensations in my L spine and Electrical bolt that travel from my L spine to my C spine and also down my left leg to my toes. I have read on the net that hemangiomas are SUPPOSED to be painless, but if there is nothing else there on my films then what else could it be??? The scary part is that neither my neurologist nor my pain management  docs bothered to tell me that this thing is there! Why would they do that if there is nothing else there??? Cancer (many types) runs heavily in my family history so why would they choose to ignore this. Mind you....NO TESTING has been done on this thing and NO RESPONSE to any of the treatments has been successful. Should I look for new Docs??? How can they tell it is a hemangioma and not something else?
Hello CraftyLady,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your Chronic Pain. We can all relate to that.

If you searched the internet you found this: "Hemangioma:  A spinal hemangioma is a primary, benign tumor most common in the thoracic and lumbar spine. The tumor has few symptoms, and is often found on examination for another condition.  It is most common in patients aged 30-50.  Hemangioma patients are closely watched for signs of compression fractures, neurologic dysfunction or the development of a soft tissue mass as a result of the hemangioma.  Treatment depends on the size and location of the hemangioma. A combination of embolization (i.e. closing the blood flow), excision (surgical removal of the tumor) and radiation therapy is typical."

There is an older discussion in our Expert Forum Archives on spinal hemangiomas.It contains some good information. It can be found at the following link:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Spinal-Hemangioma/show/295443

Your physician probably never mentioned it because your hemangioma is very small at 1.4cm and should not be symptomatic. Indeed only 1% of all hemangiomas ever present problems. I do understand your concern. I would want all the information I can gather on the condition. Hemangiomas are non-cancerous.

If you would feel better request to see a neurosurgeon. You are the patient and must be satisfied with answers.

Based only on my persoanl opinion and knowledge I think your pain and painful symptoms are related to the nerve issues found on your C3-C7 and L2, L3 and S1. Nerve pain is horrid and difficult to treat successfully.

I wish you the very best and hope you will let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck