Pain Management Community
Pain along the sciatic nerve caused by torn muscle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have a pain which has been going on for 2 years now. It hurts in the left buttocks, like a pinch or burning sensation and irradiate the back of my leg down to the toes (along the sciatic nerve). The pain has been on and off along those 2 years. I used to do a lot of sports (karate, wight lifting) and stretching and it's probably the cause of this (stretching too hard maybe). Sometimes it seems like it's gone, but it comes back right away if  I stretch too hard. Some positions are very bad like if I stand, spread my legs and lean forward(towards the floor). Also, lying on my bed gives me a constant pressure in the buttocks and down to the toe. It's really annoying to sleep, I have to take painkillers when it's too strong. Another position that hurts is when I sit with my legs crossed. It pressures the left buttocks and ultimately brings back the pain that will start to irradiate down my leg (the sciatic nerve).
I dont know what to do. I have seen an osteopath but he assumed I had a sciatica and gave me stretches to heal one. It made the problem WORSE and made the pain come back. I had to lay on my back and bring up my knee in front of me and to the side. I stopped doing it and did not see him again...
They are a few stretches that ease the pain, like standing while keeping my legs straight and tight together and leaning forward (down to the ground). Doing this is really helpful.  
So basically, I have pain in my buttocks that can go down to my sciatic nerve if irritated but I doubt it's a sciatica. Can this be a torn muscle ? or else ?  what can I do please? it's been so long now!
Thanks a lot!
In the US, the treating physician for sciatica is an Orthopedic Surgeon or a Neurosurgeon.  Not because surgery is always the best treatment, but because they are trained in the diagnosis of lower back problems.

Good luck!  Also, try the lower back board on medhelp!
Hi jeffy. Due to the legnth of time this has caused you trouble - it does sound possible you have done some structual damage to the muscle or nerve.
Any pain that has persisted for 2 years really needs to be investigated to see if a cause can be determined - I know you saw the osteopath but it dosen't seem like he did much to find the cause of your pain.
I think you need to find a doctor who is willing to order scans (ultrasound/CT or whatever they think is appropriate) to give you answers, so you can at least find out whats going on, and then be treated appropriately.
Good luck!
My hunch is that it really is the sciatic nerve. Once nerves are chronically irritated, they can be a bear to settle down.

One of the causes of sciatica is a lower back problem. A chiropractor may be able to help if vertebral alignment is the cause. The ideal therapy is Bowen therapy. It's a type of soft tissue chiropractic and has a very high success rate for easing sciatic pain. Look at http://www.bowenwork.com/WebsiteProj/Pages/About/Welcome.aspx to find  a practitioner in your area.

Be well!
Hello!!
Thx for both answer!

Perch101 what kind of doctors should I see ? I dont even know ?

Singingloonie I know it seems like a sciatica but I dont have traditional symptoms of a sciatica.
FOr exemple when I walk I am perfectly fine, I can run without problems. Moving is totally fine with me. People with siatica can barely walk. Also, the pain is not excruciating and it has never been (althought it can be painfull enough to prevent me from sleeping).
Only stretching my left side by pulling too much on the muscles/ leg can cause a worsening o the symptoms. Traditional pain relivers stretch used to heal sciatica make my case worst.
That's why I opted for the torn muscle options.
I also read about piriformis syndrome but I dont know how different it is from a sciatica...
Thx to both of you!
I would go to your GP. (Do you call it that in the US? Or is it called a primary care doctor?) - because they will refer you to the appropriate person. Do you have one? Like, a family doctor you go to if you get the flu or an ear infection or whatever?
I was doing alot of running last year in bad runners and got a really sharp persistant pain in my right shin - could not walk properly I was hobbling around.
I went to my GP. She gave me a referral to have a scan with imaging (where they inject you with dye then scan the affected area) at the local hospital.
Those results went to my GP who diagnosed a shin splint with small stress fracture on the shin bone, which she then treated.
So if you do the same as I did - go and see a GP - I'm sure they'll send you for an appropriate scan/test. Then you'll know what you're dealing with and the GP can refer you to a whichever doctor/specialist is appropriate - or they may be able to treat you themselves.
Because at the end of the day people can give you suggestions on what it could be over the net - but definetely not a diagnosis.
Good luck and post back what happens!
hi perch101

I'm from France but yes I do have a GP. But I dont trust them. Because I saw 2 of them who thought about a Sciatica and the results were bad. Only a sports doctor was able to somehow tell me what NOT to do :) Same for the ostheopath.
I wish I could go see a specialist at the hospital directly. I dunno what kind of specialist could take care of my problem.
I'll try to talk to my familly doctor again and tell him more about my problem.
Thx a lot!

Pain such as you describe, going on for 2 years, needs investigation.  
Family doctor is a start...orthopod or neuro specialist would  also be helpful.  You will possibly need an mri to determine what is causing the symptoms you describe.  Regular xrays do not show disc issues or nerve impingment.

ok thx you very much all
I'll try an orthopedist.
I'm scared to end up like this guy
http://www.nocturnalsciatica.com/#stretch
15 years with the same pain and he saw many many different specialist.
Some stretches that he shows are actually good.
Thanks again
Stretches may not be the answer.  If you've been doing them for 2 years. I'd say its time to try something new.

I got an MRI and Xrays. It seems my hips are not straight and I have a very very small Hernia in L5-S1.
The doctor does not know if it's linked but we tried something.
Since my hips are not straight, it's probably because I have a leg a little shorter than the other one, so I'm leaning on a side. The doctor added a heel in my choose to make it equal.
So far, I dont have the pain all down the leg etc... It does not hurt when I lay on a bed anymore (or rarely).
But I still have the pain when I sit straight on a chair. I have a pain in the butt :(
I hope it will go away.
I dont stretch much. I dont these one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7U1nRpxZuM&feature=player_embedded#!
But only the first few ones with rotations. The other ones hurt me.
The pain in the butt is my main concern now :( Any ideas please?

Good luck !!