Pain Management Community
Scared to try Lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Scared to try Lyrica

Has anyone tried Lyrica? and what was the result?  
I'm using it currently, I've had very VERY minimal side effects and it helps my pain a lot!

Don't be scared, be cautious!  If you feel that it isn't working with you then you can always discuss it with your doctor to take you off the medicine!  It's always good to be cautious but if you're scared, you could miss out on a very wonderful medicine that could dramatically change your pain!
oooh thank you I'm so glad to hear it's helping you!!! hopefully it will do the same for me.
Hi Danny,

I have heard a lot of good things on this Forum about Lyrica. As with any medication our systems can react differently than others. For the most part I think when taken as directed this is an effective drug with few side effects.

Sorry I can not offer you information from my personal experience. I'm hoping that you will let us know how effective it is for you.

Best of luck and take care.
Tuck
I have been on Lyrica for 3 years now with great results.I am very pleased with it.
i too have been on lyrica for 5 years and it is good for the nerve pain i cirtainly cant complain.
I've had mixed results: pain relief is good at 600mg/day for me, but significant sedation and weight gain are recurring issues - even at half the dose I cop these two side effects. Can also cause some memory ("it is on the tip of my tongue") trouble. In order to try and deal with side effects while still gaining some benefit I've recently been cycling on and then off of lyrica.

If you have pain which is neuropathic - and a lot of chronic pain sufferers are in this camp - then a trial of lyrica is worth it, so long as you and your doctor pay heed to any warning signs. If you can cope on it then it beats using strong opiates with all of the restrictive practices and general hassle of S8 medications.

All the best.
WOW Thank you everyone for all this great information, it means a lot to me. This is so helpful now I will get my rx filled today and try this out i am hoping it works and will let you guys know how i react to it.
Hey Danny

I just started LYRICA myself. I am taking 100mg in the moring, and 200mg (2pills) before bedtime. At first I didnt think it was helping. The PM doc said it will take some tome to build up in my system before I start seeing the results. I have started seeing results in second week. In fact, LYRICA has been nothing short than a miracle for me to reduce the nerve pain in my back and legs. The best result is I can stand long periods of time without sitting down because of pain. I would give it a try, but stay away from GABAPENTIN. My PM doc said this drug is useless, and you have to take very high doses to get any effect. LYRICA can be costly, but my PM doc gave me a benefit card and you call it in, enter the number on the card and your co-pay os only $25.00 for an entire year. Not bad considering this drug is well over $200 for a months supply at most pharms. Good luck!!
hi, I was given Lyrica a while ago.  It was great for my leg pain and the sedation effecta were alright by me.  However, I experienced tongue swellling, throat swelling and closing and breathing difficulties.  I was devastated!!!Finally there was something that provided my legs with with comfort and I can't take it.  I now take Gabapentin which helps but not as well as Lyrica.  With our chronic pain I don't think any one med. is going to help and I also don't think anything will totally take away the pain.  Don't forget guys to ask for samples from your doc. and even contact the manufacturers for help with cost.  Sometimes they can help. Love, Peace and Blessings...Rev
I tried Lyrica for fibromyalgia, I had blurred vision so severe.  I wouldn't take it.