Pain Management Community
help! !!!!need a doctor who can prescribe methadone for pain in nyc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have been taking methadone for my back pain for 3 years.Last month my doctor died.Now i m left with 2 weeks of medication left.I have tride couple of pain managment places but they ether have long waiting list or dose not want to take new paitents.Some one please email me at ***@**** or post an answer here.THANK YOU
Do you have insurance?  Can you apply for some kind of financial aid from the state?

This is one of my biggest fears since I'm young and have an older doctor.  I'm worried that if I switch doctors I might not keep the same medication regimen and end up in withdrawals and back in severe pain.

I wish I could help you more but I'm in California and don't know much about the medical world.
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum we are so glad that you have found us!! We hope that you will be an active member and contribute some of your experiences to our members!!.

Sorry to hear about your Dr.s passing. Was he not in practice with other Dr.s? If he was, even if they couldn't continue your medication maybe they could provide you with a referral. Your best bet is to get on the internet and look for PM Clinics in your area. Just start calling and tell them your predicament. If this was a PM Dr. that passed away, go to your PCP and have him refer you to another one. You could always go back to the Dr. that referred you to this one that passed away and ask for his help again in referring you. You normally need referrals from another Dr. to be accepted into PM Clinics. At least that's what the norm is on MedHelp. Have you tried a Methadone Clinic? I must admit I don't know anything about them, whether whey will help a pain patient that is using it to control their pain or if it is strictly for addicts that need to get of f of meds.
It ws just a thought. :)

Please let us know how you are doing.  We are here for you...Sherry
Generally when a doctor retires or passes, his patients are referred to another doctor.  Where are your records?  And if you do have insurance, perhaps your insurance co. could help you locate a doctor who is accepting new patients.

Our hospitals here in Texas have referral lines.  You might check with one of your local hospitals.  If it comes down to it, you can go to the emergency room.    They might prescribe enough to get you moving again.  But I really don't know about that one.

The other suggestions are all good ones.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Hi Steve:

You have received some good advise here. With your Doctors passing, you will be referred to a new Doctor. Please call and ask the clinic.

This Forum is more for support and advise rather than reffering another to a Doctor, I hope you understand.

My best,
Mollyrae
are there any methadone clinics near you?