Pain Management Community
2 failed surgeries for i-5 s1-herniation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I have had 2 surgeries for herniated disc l5 s1.
first lets go back as to why surgery. Was involved in a  work  related injury in 94 severe back pain leg pain discussed it with employer stated and sent (never let your employer dictate health care treatment manage your own affairs) me to a chiropractor who treated me for herniated disc l 5 s 1 after 3 months of treatment was able to return to work.
several years later was involved i an second accident at work this time was hit head on by an uninsured driver.that bring me to where i am now 10-22-09 was went to emergency room the they treated for muscle sprain and let me go.
couple days later could not walk without severe pain.went back to doctors at employers choice (wrong answer) went to a back specialist of my choice there he did an mri and found the disc that was herniated in 94 reherniated this time to the the rear of the spine which was operable it took my employers workmans com insurer 9 months to approve surgery after 2 epidural injections no relief 4 weeks physical  therapy the june 30 10 surgery after surgery extreme PAIN herniantion was remove leaving disc intact remove bone several bone spurs caused by waiting the 9 months and the hernaition leaking.taking 900 mg nuerotin 4 time aday #10 loritab 4x a day and 4mg zanneflex 3x a day  Now after surgery i experienced sever left leg pain and weakness.doctor did a second mri found another herniation form same disc recommended   another surgery to just remove that. After that surgery no left leg pain but numbness was still there on back of leg all the way to foot heel and outside three toes
now right leg is cramped up unable to put any weight on or walk any distance numbness same as left foot. also extreme neck pain and headaches pain across rib cage after surgery sore throat constipation and erectile dysfunction unable to hold bladder they way i could before surgery.  so much for a specialist but anyway if you are planning surgery go for the best you can possibly get whether one from your employer  choice or one your attorney chooses get the best possible i learned form my mistake if i would have done this in 94 i would not be in this condition now and don't let insurance companies dictate you health care if the doctor prescribes a course of action force them to follow it without delaying it for months. it will only hurt you and not them if you have any question feel free to contact me personally 225-268-0166 or ***@**** i am still on previous med but now i take 1200 mg nurotin 4x a day and quit zannaflex after heart complications started loritab is just a way of life now been on it so long now will have to go to a rehab to get off it