2 sudden hurt wrists

My wife found this forum, and I have found it to be a good source of information.
I want to thank everyone for providing information like this to help and assist me in my research.

I have pain in both of my wrists.
About 6 months ago, I purchased a new fixer-upper house, and I have been spending most weekends fixing it up.  I am an administrator at work, and I normally don't do much physical activity outside fixing up my home.

Three and a half weeks ago: I found that I was sleeping funny, and it was hurting my wrists.  Id have pain when I first woke up, but it would disappear 30 minutes after waking.  I purchased wrists guards and it seemed to help.  I was still able to make repairs to my house and keep up my physical activity level.

Two weeks ago: the wrists guards helped me stop contorting my wrists at night, but my pain seemed to linger on longer throughout the day.  My wrists starting popping, cracking and making noise.  Because of all this, I started limiting my physical activity and scheduled a dr. appointment.

Little less than a week ago: My wrists have degraded so much that I can barely lift anything.  I can type, but im cautious.  My wrists burn with every waking moment, and there is still a lot of cracking and popping.  However, every time my wrists pop, its followed by a few minutes of relief.

I have only seen a primary care physician.  This problem creeped up on me so quickly.  I am still awaiting a referral to physical therapy and an orthopedic surgeon.
My father seems to think I have over exerted my wrists with my home repairs.  However, it feels more like a joint problem to me.  My wife put a heating pad on my wrists over the weekend, and it seemed to feel better with the rest and the heat.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
Burning sounds like there is a neurological issue involved, but the cracking and popping and the onset- I am thinking you maybe should be consulting a rheumatologist.  Are you joints red or hot to the touch?
Hello LivingInHope,

Thank you for your response.  My joints are not red or hot to the touch.
I just scheduled an appointment with my ortho surgeon.  Unfortunately, its over a month away :(

Im doing blood work sometime to week to see if its rheumatoid arthritis
Do they have a cancellation list?  If so, hopefully you are on it in case something sooner comes up?  

I'm curious as to why they went straight for the surgeon without time for more evaluation and therapy first?  Are you planning to get the physical therapy in the interim to see if that helps prior to the scheduled surgeon appointment?

I'm glad they are planning to check for RA!
I am planning on taking Physical Therapy soon.  They sent me straight for the surgeon because I asked for it.

I can do physical therapy for a few weeks before my surgeon.  My surgeon appointment is over a month away.  I knew it would take forever to get an appointment so I thought I would get it started.  I could always cancel it should my symptoms improve.
You're right that some of those specialists can take a long time to get to & there are typically those who would rejoice at a cancellation if you found you improved sufficiently without needing the surgeon appointment!  I hope you do get better- it must be puzzling to have had this kind of onset and not pleasant!