Pain Management Community
5 weeks post RF Neuritis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

5 weeks post RF Neuritis?

Im right now 5 weeks post my fourth RF (Lumbar R & L ) and my usual pain is for the most part completely gone.   However, I am experiencing a far more debilitating pain- a deep burning/ache and its excruciating at the end of the day and when I first wake in the morning. It began immediately after the procedre and  has been occuring daily  since then.  I saw a huge improvement after the first week but very little improvement since then (I'd say 15-25%).  I have doubled my pain meds.  This is nothing like what I experienced the first 3 procedures.    My doctor is not too concerned as he has not returned my 2 calls.   I cannot find anywhere on the internet repports of a similar experience more than  one  month post a lumbar RF. Anybody have any ideas?   I am just looking for a way to get some relief!

I posted this as the tail end of a reply/comment in another thread, but it was an old thread. Please forgive the duplication if you are seeing it :)  
Sure, I'm familiar with this.These are muscle spasms, caused by old body mechanics that got used to compensating for the painful facet joints.

Now that the pain is gone, you'll need to retrain walking, sitting, and even sleeping positions.

For instance, if I sleep on my back, I wake up with miserable pain in the lower back, abdomen, and groin. It dissipates within an hour of waking, after I've moved around some. I need to sleep on my side, with my knees together -- then I don't have lower back pain in the morning.

A smart physical therapist who is trained in back post-op rehabilitation can help. See if the PT offers 'dry needling' or trigger pointy injections, which can help disrupt old postural habits.

Also, ask your doctor to try the muscle relaxant, dantrolene.

All this restructuring is painful at first, but as your posture and body mechanics adapt, your muscles will find a new normal, without pain.