Pain Management Community
Abdominal pain years after tram flap surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I am a 44 year old woman and have undergone 17 abdominal surgeries in my life. 2 1/2 years ago I had a double mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction. I had to have 3 abdominal surgeries after that for abdominal reconstruction due to hernia, trapped nerve, and infection within the incision. For the last 2 years I have had chronic severe abdominal pain and lower back pain. I have tried excercise classes, therapy, oral meds, physical therapy, phycological therapy, pilates, water therapy, heating pads, ice packs. I was recently referred to a pain specialist by my surgeon as he advised doing more surgery would not help. I have adhesions that have grown over the mesh in my stomach and doing more surgery will only create more adhesions. I cannot stand, sit or walk for long periods of time. The pain is getting so unbearable I am unable to continue working. It is affecting every and I mean every aspect of my life. I really cannot take it much longer. I would like to know if anyone has had success with a pain specialist after breast reconstruction and tram flap surgery.
Tags: tram flap
I can't speak to the breast reconstruction, but like you, I have abdominal adhesions (mostly small intestine involvement) and haven't been able to work for over 5 years.  The fentanyl patch and breakthrough meds have helped a lot, but the pain and nausea are always there no matter what gets thrown at it.  Mostly, I've had to learn to live with it and work around it.  That means serious attention to what I eat.  Fiber is a real killer as is meat.  Therapy with my pain shrink has been a big help too.  I've learned some self-hypnosis techniques that help me get through the worst bowel obstructions and usually help me get some sleep.

Sorry I can't be more helpful or hopeful, but adhesions are just not easy to live with and very frustrating for doctors to treat.  Once it's determined that surgery is out of the question, you're stuck with trying to manage symptoms.  That means some major lifestyle changes, which is where therapy also helps a great deal.  You have to start thinking more about pain "management" instead of pain "cure."  If a pain doc can help you function better on a daily basis, that counts as a success.  Best of luck to you, and I hope that you get some kind of relief very soon.  :-)