Pain Management Community
Aching thighs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Aching thighs

I am 23, and last few nights I have woken up mid morning with terrible aching upper legs/thighs and they have given me trouble throughout the day. I have changed nothing in my lifestyle and only exercise lightly twice a week.

Anyone have any ideas or any advice? Would be appreciated
Hi!
Pain in the front portion of hip, thigh and knee can be due superficial nerve compression (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve), that comes from the hip area and gets pinched. This condition is called meralgia paresthetica and is often due to weight gain or wearing tight clothes and belts. Losing some weight or wearing loose clothes and belts often helps relieve the pain/numbness/tingling. Also injection of lignocaine (anesthetic agent) at the site helps. In your case you can apply a pain reliever at the site. Keep a hot water bottle/heating pad while sleeping and apply a local analgesic cream. Other possibilities are vascular pathologies such as deep vein thrombosis and clots and will need a dopplar study. Peripheral neuropathies as in diabetes, hypothyroidism, Lyme's and lupus are the other possibilities. It can also be spinal nerve compression in lower back.
Pain in the lower and outer thigh is often due to Iliotibial band friction syndrome. It can be a part of myofascial low back pain you have or it may have happened due to incorrect leg lifts causing strain on the band. Wrong sitting posture causing improper transmission of force and strain on the band can bring about pain. Changing posture while sitting, using a good chair with back support, getting up and walking once in a while, etc helps. When in pain, RICE treatment helps (rest, ice, compression by wearing a knee cap and elevation of leg). Use of ultrasound waves also help bring relief.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Definitely see your doctor.  One of my first symptoms of fibromyalgia was sort of a burning feeling in my thigh muscles.  At first if felt like I had over exercised  those muscles.  Later symptoms included a profound heaviness in my legs.  Best of luck.