Advil and Tylenol Taken Together
Is it safe to take advil and tylenol at the same time?  I am in the middle of a horrible flare-up of TMD (basically spastic jaw muscles and horrible pain in jaw/head/face down into neck/shoulders and back).  I have an appointment next thursday but I'm in 4th year university and I have midterms in a year.  I can't study through the pain so I need something that can help.  

The problem is that my muscles are also very inflammed (I'm almost as swollen as when I got my wisdom teeth out) so advil (1-2 regular or liquid gels) is a better choice because it brings down some of the swelling but does nothing for pain.  The tylenol knocks the pain almost out (one extra strength, only because that is all we have) but does nothing for the swelling which makes it a little tender to touch and when I move my jaw around.

Ice makes the muscles tighten more and thus very bad pain.  Heat helps, but I can't do that in the middle of class.  

Would it be okay to take one advil and one regular strength tylenol at the same time once a day?  When I'm home I can use heat and only one dose of painkillers to manage it.  Or are there better medications to use (I'm in Canada so the selection might be a bit different).  Thanks.
Hi Tammy,

I am sorry you are having so much pain. I would not take Advil and Tylenol together. I have taken them two hours apart but you should check with a pharmacist as they are the expert in medications.

Best of luck to you. I hope you'll find some relief soon.

Take Care,
Tuck.