Pain Management Community
Advil and Tylenol together?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Advil and Tylenol together?

Hi guys! I have a lot of chronic pain problems with my knee, back and foot. I have been on all sorts of meds in the past, including vicodin and percocet. My orthopedic Dr. told me before I could mix tylenol with advil and it would equal a pain pill without the narcotic effect. I don't remember how many of each to take and how many hours apart to take each of them. Is this safe? I would rather take these then go back on pain meds! Thanks! :)
I would not recommend taking them at the same time...you can switch between the two of them, but you're overloading your systems to combine them.I know in post-operative situations sometimes patients will be put on advil and tylenol at the same time, but it's never done for every long...at least in my experience. Someone else may have a different experience with it, but I would recommend against it...advil can tear up your stomach and tylenol can tear up your liver, and when you combine them you're just making it that much harder for each system to process them easily. have you tried things like aleve? Naproxen sodium I have found to be a superior pain reliever as far as OTC medications (non prescription) go :-). I mean if you trust your doctor then you trust our doctor and do what he says, but I personally would not for any length of time...maybe one or two doses once in a blue moon.
I agree that if you do choose to take both medications make it for a short time only. The most qualified person to answer this question is your pharmacist.
If your Doctor told you to take them both then do so but check with your Pharmacist on the amount you should take.
I would suggest not taking them both at the same time, maybe space then out atleast and hour or so.
But the best option would be to explain to your Pharmacist what your Doctor told you to take and get the amount and times from him/her at the Pharmacy:)
Thanks so much for the replies! :)