Pain Management Community
Alternative to Morphine Sulfate 60mg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Alternative to Morphine Sulfate 60mg

I was in a gov't protective service career, and was injured on the job where I herniated a disk, and was shot in an incident where one bullet lodged in my back and could not be removed. I have been on pain meds ever since, this being about 4 years.  Things have been manageable but I have not been real happy with one of the meds my MD has prescribed me.  ( 15mg Roxycodone 4xday as needed, and 60mg of Morphine sulfate 2XDay.)

The Roxycodone work well for quick pain relief but do not have a long term effect, like the morphine.  The Morphine worked ok with the pain, but changes my demeanor, and made me moody.  So I have discontinued using the Morphine.  From some research, I found that not all narcotic based meds work the same one everyone.  In all honesty the lower dose of Roxycodone had a better effect then the morphine, which suprised me.  I have tried the following meds with out any good relief:

-Ultram
-Hydrocodone
-Naproxem (works well, when things are tight, but not for the sharp stabbing pain)
-Other OTC meds, Ibuprofen works great like the Naproxem, but not on the pain.

Is there any other pain med, that I can discuss with my Doctor, that has the same kind of long term effects the Morphine did?  She had brought up methadone, but its not an option I want to try.  

Thank you to all took time and share some advice and support.

Take care

Hello Myth,

Welcome to MedHelp. I am glad you found us. And I am sorry for your injuries and the pain you are experiencing. We know how you feel.

I know there has been a lot of bad press on Methadone but there are many ppl taking it that obtain great pain relief. It has very little side effects and that is a huge plus. Withdrawal in horrid but so is withdrawal form many other opiates. I would encourage you to reconsider your decision. There is a great article on Methadone Pain Management by Dr. John Wilmont.

We also have several member that obtain great relief from the Fentanyl Patch. It does come with many more side effects and also a mean withdrawal. There have been some recalls on these patches in the past but apparently they are now made safer.

Others will post with their suggestions and input. You will discover there are some very strong opinions on which medication is the best. Keep in mind that what works for one may not work as well for another.

I wish you the very best. Please keep in touch and let us know what works for you. Take Care, Tuck
Hey Tuck,

Thank you so much for the concerns and quick response.   I really want to stay away from methadone, my doctor had discussed with me as an option, and we did give it a try for a while, and it seemed to have the same effects as the morphine.  

I'm aware with any narcotic pain killer the many side effects and the tendency for developing an addiction.  Both my doctor and I have agreed due to my injuries its something that i would have to deal with and it out weighs the latter. I would need invasive surgery that could be life threatening and involve severing nerves.  I prefer the latter of the two, and have been living in a better quality of life on the narcotic pain relievers.

My question really is what are my options are far as long acting pain medication, besides the methadone, and morphine?  I find it really embarrassing to seek out help, for it seems like I am like some of the people i dealt with in my career.  My doctor asks me frequently about how I feel, being off the morphine, and I feel awkward about asking about other options.  I think if I had some ideas to present to her, it would make the visit a little more comfortable.  I know she doesn't think that of me as some "junky", but its hard when in the office.  I'm the kind of person that likes to have it all on paper to present, otherwise it just doesnt come out well.

Again thanks you for your concerns
Hello and welcome to MH.

I too am sorry for the pain. I understand you do not want to try Methadone so maybe I could be of some help.
I have been on years of pain control with various narcotics such as;
Oxycontin
Oxycodone
Hrdrocodone
Darvocet
Naproxen
IB
Well too many more to count. I am on a pain regiment that has worked well for me until a week ago or so...Having a bad week....Anyway, I use the Fentanyl Patch along with Oxycodone for breakthrough pain and Relefen, an anti-inflammatory. This combination works better than anything I've tried to date. The only draw back to the Fentanyl is the mood swings and I know you had mentioned that the mood swings are not an option for you but maybe it would be different for you.
There are also some draw backs that in your first month or so include:
Nausea
sweating
dizzyness
These do go away in time, they are by no means permanent. The thing with Fentanyl is you have to give it time to work and some people don't. Fentanyl is a 3 day patch so you don't have to worry about taking pills everyday.....except for the breakthrough..
Well, this is my input. I hope I was helpful
Take care and good luck,
Mollyrae
Hi Again,

Mollyrae has offered you a list of narcotics, some better than others. Oxycontin is very popular of late. My PCP avoids prescribing it. And as I stated earlier the Fentanyl Patch appears to be fairly effective. Mood swings goes hand in hand with most of the pain meds, some more so than others but it all depends on the individual.

I would like to tell you that you should never feel embarrassed about taking or asking about pain medications. Addiction is not a real issue for CP suffers. I would take on the person that said we are all addicts.  We require opiates in order to even begin to function in a "normal" manner. Frankly I'd prefer a few glasses of wine but that is no longer a option for me. And I know the feeling that you feel like you are some of the ppl you use to encounter; as I am a nurse it has been very difficult for me to "change roles." I want to be helping and caring for others instead of being the one that currently needs some help.

So don't be embarrassed to ask your medical practitioner for a prescription for a long acting narcotic. Goodness knows you have reason for pain and the right to seek pain relief. Hang tough and keep us posted. And as always, take care, Tuck  

Yeah I'm a bit scared to ask for Oxycotin, but it is a long term pain reliever.  I'm just not sure how to approach her about it.  I feel she would just balk at it and then have me see a pain specialist, and I really don't want to go through the hoops and start all over again.
Just ask her what she would suggest. Tell her about what you have tried in the past and what has worked for you. Let her make the decision. As I said earlier my PCP who treats my CP would never order me Oxycontin. I have never had it and I would never ask for it. All I care is that my pain is controlled. I don't care what medication they prescribe me if it works. Good luck to you. Tuck
I HAVE JUST HEARD ABOUT A PIILL CALLED SUBOXENEN it is supposably for use of opiate withdrawals.  I HAVE BEEN ON OPPIATES, PAIN  PILLS, OXYCONTIN FOR 4 YEARS AND METHAADONE BEFORE THAT. i do do have two ruptured disc in my lover spine and artheritis in my spine also along withj othe problems in my knee. BUT i am tired of living off of pills. WOULD SUBOXENE BE A GOOD WAY TO DETOX MYSELF FROM THE PILLS, THEN TRY SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THAN OPIATES, ALTHOUGH I STARTED OUT WITH OTHER MEDS TRIED SOME OF EVERYTHING,, THE OXYCONTIN HAS GIVEN ME THE MOST RELIEF, EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT TAKE THE PAIN AWAY BUT IT HELPS A LOT. but i feell like an addict,, i want off. What does anyone have to say about sauboxene. I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT IT. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS. THANK YOU, ANYONE.
How do I  GET INFO ON A MEDICATION
I been on Suboxone and was more or less tricked in to go on it. My PM Doc. told me that you are just going to get more and more tolerant to the Narcotic pain meds. He goes on talking about Suboxone and states this will help you with your backpain. I really like the Doc but he is pushy as far as procedures he wants to do. In oyher words he does not believe in pain meds (narcotic) he just want to give me his injections. Last time i was there he wanted me to talk to behaviour doctor and of course i said NO. He just added that to his clinic so he needed some $ is the way i looked at it. Sorry for rambling on. Suboxone will take all your whitdrawls away you need to be in early whitdrawl when going on Suboxone. The key to this med is to not stay on for long. As soon as you are stabilised you should start tapering. It is very strong so it will give you bad whitdrawls if you stay on it for extended time. If you go to the Addiction/abuse forum here at medhelp there window on the bottom right hand corner about Suboxone that is very good. The info in there is from people that have a lot of experience with Suboxone. I'm of this now because it does nothing for your pain at all. Good luck and check that post out. F1swede
I know someone on Suboxone. This is only an opinion. It sounds like more trouble then it's worth. I know and it has been researched, real cp sufferers experience little withdrawal b/c they are taling the drugs for pain, not fun. The suboxone will be another drug to detox from. Personally, weaning off always worked for me and has been pretty easy,
I wish you the best. I wish they made a pill that really took away the pain where the pain is and was not addicting. So far, not are great. I would say the morphine sulfate that was suggested has worked the best. Your pain, well, my pain isn't totally gone, but more bearable and I got off of it once w/o a problem. It is long lasting also.

Methadone, I would stay miles away from.  
After a large growth was removed from the area of my lower lumbar and a fusion completed, I was left with severe nerve damage and chronic nerve pain. That was four years ago and a long list of medications later including Fentanyl, Tridural, Oxycontin, Oxycodone and many others. The reality is, for me now, I hate opiates and morphine. After three brutal withdrawals, I said no more. I have come to realize, there is no magic pill. What works for one person, may not for another and what works now, probably won't last. I have taken ownership of my pain and now use yoga, breathing techniques and bio-feedback for pain control. It has been difficult to train my mind to focus away from the pain, but it does work about as effectively as morphine and other drugs....and without the side effects. For me, morphine destroyed my soul. I was always a very active person and the more morphine I took, the more I died inside. But as I said, pain is unique to each person and I would never criticize someone for their choice, but for me, finding non-morphine choices was liberating and has allowed to walk and feel better about my life.
Hi Mok,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. This is an older pot and my not been seen by Myth. You may want to contact them directly through a PM. Just click on their name and it will take you to their home page.

Thank you for sharing your unique story. There are others that have tried your approach and either failed or experienced the same outcome. It failed for me! You are so correct, every one is unique, and what works for one may not necessarily work for another. I doubt there are few if any of us that would not love to throw away our narcotic prescription bottles. I am glad that it worked for you.

Thank you for posting. I am hopeful you will become an active member of our community. Your input will be valuable.
Best regards, Tuck
ok for starters You do not want to be on OxyContin cause the first things you know you will be sniffing them and then you have a really big addiction problem.......Not saying that you would do that or not.....but anyways I have SEVERE PAIN VERY SEVERE and I take methadone for it and lyrica and I also take xanax for my nerves but the methadone has been the best pain management drug I have ever been on, I can get up in the morning and go on with my day without hurting to bad or anything like that at all. I have alot of things wrong with me if you wanna know what all is wrong with me e mail me at DSS_7282***@**** and I will describe what all methadone has brought me through, I don't know how much narcotic pain meds you are taking now but if I new more about your condition then I could really help you more I am a Pharmacy Tech. So feel free to ask about any narcotic meds and I can give the up sides to them and the down sides to them not only becaue I'm a pharmacy technician but because I have been on all of the current narcotics you can currently get from a doctor ......but e mail me and I will help you I promise

Dustin Campbell
Pharmacy Technician
Pharm Tech Dustin:

This is an old post and the poster is most likely not around anymore. If you have information you would like to share, please start a new thread. You will get a better response.

Thank you,
Molly
Also, your comments have been ???? at best. Giving advise on the Oxy's the way you did was really not appropriate.
Currently I take the extended relief morphine sulfate and norco 10/325 for severe bilateral SI joint pain. I am not responding to the morphine at all even at a higher dosage. I feel I am building a tolerance to the norco so that doesn't work well either anymore. Upon telling my specialist this, he said there was really nothing else he had for me. I don't  believe him. My pain becomes intense @ 9 out of 10. excruciating! Also I under went cordizone injection with sedsation and that didn't work! Dr. wants me to have the procedure done again. There has got to be something else he could give me for pain. I can't take any anti inflamatory meds because I have ITP blood disorder. How do I get him to let me try oxycodone or percaset or anything else? I understand possible risk of becoming dependant but we'll cross that bridge once my pain is under control. Any advice? On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm at a 9+ and that's on a good day. I currently can't work, but am hoping doing procedure 2nd time will do the trick. But in the, mean time...??? What do I do? I'm also scared Dr. it's just thinking I want drugs which is very insulting. This whole experience is a torture in and of itself. Thankyou in advance for taking timer to ress this. All opinions are appreciated