Pain Management Community
Alternatives to medication

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Alternatives to medication

Does anyone know of any alternatives to pain medication? I'm sick of taking pills and I don't like the idea of a pump injecting me with medication. Besides physical therapy what else is there?
Yoga has helped me. I bought some videos with very easy Yoga stretches & it really makes a difference. Also, I like to do many different stretches which help me tremendously too. I always warm up first and it can be simply walking for 5-10 minutes.

Another thing I do that helps is spending time in the Sauna at my gym. I like to stretch after, then even jump back in the Sauna.

Also, I started taking CYMBALTA which is an anti-depressant. It is supposed to reduce pain up to 60% and let me tell you it works very well for me.

I don't recommend pain meds unless you absolutely have to. After being on them for a period of time, they stop working and mess with the way your body processes pain and actually led to all kinds of other aches & pains throughout my body. I became like an old man. After going off of them, my pain has subsided dramatically (after an adjustment period). Obviously you can  became emotionally addicted to them which can cause a whole host of other problems.

Good luck.
this may sound wierd but it works if u need to relieve some pain and not take any narcotics. This will only work for short term pain . Fast for one day drink 4 cups of straigt lemon juice one shot of whiskey and one Rockstar or Monster energy drink...which everone u like best....My preference is to add the shot to your Energy drink and drink it slowly but chugg the lemon juice. The energy drink does not do its job in fact it does the opposite....the whiskey turns the energy drink into a relax aid and the lemon juice makes it get into your blood very rapidly....once you try it u could get addicted to doing it and could become tolerant to the affects of the ingredients in the energy drink as well as the one shot of whiskey....this recipe is for someone who doesnt drink that much. Someone who is alcohol tollerant may need to exceed the whiskey to a higher dose...Good Luck.
the last post is absurd.
Well ull find that if ur ever really in a great deal amount of pain nothing is absurd. And this is a real recipe for pain relief and it really works...keep negative comments to yourself...much appreciated!
I don't know if I personally recommend it, but you might look into Duragesic (sp?) patches, since you say you don't like taking pills and don't like the idea of a pump (not sure what you mean by this).  From what I understand, the patches are similar in construction to nicotine patches that smokers use to quit -they just stick onto your body like stickers- but instead of nicotine contain a powerful opiate analgesic.

Apparently they stay on for 72 hours, come in different dosages, etc.  Some people are sensitive to adhesive.  They can be dangerous if they become ripped, torn, or otherwise damaged, and can even be deadly if non-opioid tolerant people are exposed to the gel inside (or even to opiate tolerant people if they get too much gel from a damaged patch). Must be very careful with children around. Caregivers must also be very careful.  Some people absolutely swear by them, though, especially if they have been taking opiate pills regularly for a long time.

They are only prescribed for people who have been on narcotic opiate treatment plans for an extended time already and are not for acute or post-operative use.