Pain Management Community
Ambien - sedation and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Ambien - sedation and pain

Would 0.5 to 1.0 mg of Ambien act as a pain killer?
Or ... as a sedative would it mask a bio-mechanical pain?

SITUATION:
Best understanding is that my biochemical system has been bent by extended childhood emotional trauma (stress) and biochemical homeostasis is set at a freeze (high anxiety) level.

I have gotten here with over a decade of introspective work and meditation.

Where I landed was that my stomach keeps telling my head that "something is wrong." It (my stomach) is upset and irritated causing a range of other problems that stress my system - malabsorption, poor digestion, constipation ...

My self care knowledge is hampered by the anxiety and the anxiety is not going to change without more substantive life style modifications. After 13+ years, I'm dying faster than I'm improving so I want some chemical support. I was using nicotine but it is very addictive (I was limited to 4 packs per YEAR), short duration, and made my stomach feel worse. Alcohol has similar and additional problems.

I am currently looking for a psychopharmacologist that will address the problem at this pin pointed level and not just shove 24/7 medication at me.

BASIS OF QUESTION:
My last attempt with a GP at getting a mild sedative did not get anywhere but I was able to get Ambien (a sedative ... go figure).

I took .05 - 1.0 mg Ambien to see if it would act as a short duration "chill pill" (like a cigarette, but longer lasting and without making my stomach sicker) to help me manage my bodies responses to things that I consciously know are not dangerous.

I find the irritation (tenderness) in my stomach is gone and I can feel hunger pains again (as separate from the normal irritation).
What? I really don't understand what you are trying to ask? In the first part of your passage you are using a different kind of language and I cannot decipher it. I don't understand what you are trying to say under situation. Maybe if you would word things differently in more layman terms you might get some responses. It's like when a dr talks to patients in medical terms and they have no idea what the dr is saying so medical professionals try to use layman terms.
You really need to be careful with Ambien. My husband takes it to sleep days and it knocks him out for 10 hrs at a time. THis is not a medication to take lightly.
Hi Frank,

I think I understand what you are asking and saying. At least I hope I do. You cannot use Ambien as a pain medication or an anti-anxiety medication.

Ambien and its generic form are designed to help you fall asleep. Ambien CR helps you fall asleep and stay asleep. There is some controversy surrounding it's side effects. There have been some reported nasty side effects such as sleep walking, eating, driving and even a few cases of homicide. I do not know if theses reports are true but I do know that as curlyred states this medication should not be taken lightly. This is very a serious, powerful medication that should only be utilized as intended and directed. This is not an off label medication.

I am not sure why your physician would have prescribed this for you unless you complained of insomnia or he/she misunderstood your complaint. I would certainly return to your PCP and discuss your desire for a medication that can provide you with the results you are looking to achieve.

Good luck in your search for a medication that will provide you with relief of the symptoms your find troubling. Take care and be safe. Tuck

i know someone who speaks to people who aren't there when they take ambien. the number of ppl who act weird on this stuff is just phenominal. I wouldn't take it ever, for any reason.
try being completely honest with your doctor. rather than trying to get what you want by explaining things as you have, just tell him the basic problem and let him/her tell you what and why is needed. It's not really a patients job to self medicate or obtain drugs for uses that the meds are really made for.
if you have anxiety issues then why not just tell your doctor. I don't see any problem with that.
good luck
If you feel that anxiety is a central issue then that is what to tell the doctor. If you feel that you will need medication to assist in dealing with anxiety, then ask the doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist in the first instance.

Anxiety has many sources and many forms however; it may well be the case that a psychiatrist feels that you would benefit from therapy (of the talking kind) in order to dig into what triggers your anxiety. OTOH, if you have a generalised anxiety, meaning basically that it's with you most of the time and/or no external triggers seem to be the mechanism for causing it, then a psychiatrist may well prescribe any of a range of pharmaceuticals for it.

BTW, sometimes a physical condition or disease may be the culprit for anxiety. A good physical examination should rule that out first.

All the best,

OtisDaMan
Thank you - reading from "the book" has not been helpful to me in the past and not self diagnosing would have had me medicated for the last 15 years without any progress.

I am not worked up with taking 1 mg Ambien a day considering it was prescribed for 10 mg per day. I have been reading the side effect reports and non-tested complaints that it is addictive. I'm not interested in playing with it.

I see one response that Ambien does not act as a pain killer. If that is the case then I think my self diagnosis is on the right track and I'm dealing with an chronic anxiety issue. Why else might it have such a big impact on my digestive tract?

I do not understand why a sedative is not considered an anti-anxiety treatment though. Please sort out between CNS sedation and anti-anxiety impacts on the bodies systems.
see

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/oral_sedation.html
Hi Frankw,
   If your having anxiety and pain then you need a medication that is specifically for that purpose and for smoking cessation the same. You can not expect a sleeping medication to help with these problems. I would strongly suggest you find another doctor who will actually listen to what problems your having and then treat you. It sounds as if the doctor just pushed the sleep meds to pacify you and that is so very wrong! You have a medical problem and it needs to be addressed and treated properly.
I do hope you can get another doctor who will listen to you and help you:)
We are here for you for any questions or concerns you may have and hope you will keep us updated on how your doing:)
I have anwsered the PM you sent me in detail. I hope it is helpful.

Peace, Tuck