Pain Management Community
Anyone else feel like crap after taking Ultram?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

I was prescribed Ultram/Tramadol about three years ago to treat fibromyalgia like pain. I rarely take it, and I notice that when I do, I feel icky the day after. I take less than the prescribed dose, so I know that overdosing isn't the issue. I told my doc and she said that other patients have reported the same thing. What happens is the day after I feel sort of fuzzy headed, sleepy, and sometimes even sickish.

Can anyone relate? And, has anyone found a way to mitigate these symtoms (symptoms)? The meds help, but the drawbacks are beginning to outweight the benefits. Can anyone suggest alternative meds that don't have these unwanted after-effects?

Thanks!

Menty
All drugs have some side effects, unfortunately, and only you can decide if the side effects are worth the pain relief in your case.
While Tramadol/Ultram is not supposed to be an opiate, it does have an effect on the opiate receptors in the brain, which produce very similar side effects as opiates do.
I would talk to your doctor and see if she can suggest another medication if needed, if you would prefer not to have the sluggish feeling the next day.
It also may be a factor in you experiencing these side effects because you don't take it every day. Your body hasn't really adjusted to the medication as it would if you were taking it consistently.
Sandi