Pain Management Community
Arms drawing up in pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Arms drawing up in pain

I need your help. My wife's arms are drawing up on her & she's in pain. This will go on for hours & when they draw up so will her fingers & forearms. This has happened before & we brought it  to her doctors attention & he basically blew us off. She's 44 yrs old 5'6 & 118 lbs. she's on a 25 mg fentyl patch & takes 50 mgs of trazadone at night for sleep. It's scary to see her this way & I feel helpless when it happens, nothing seems to help but time.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your wife’s medical problems. In all probability she suffers from ischemic pain that cause contracture of arm. As of now it may be temporary but with time it may become worse. This may happen due to clots in veins or due to atherosclerosis of arteries. Dopplar studies may be helpful in diagnosis.
The other possibility is a nerve compression— in lower cervical or upper thoracic spine. Along with pain killers this may respond to physiotherapy, traction, spinal manipulation, dry needling etc. Please consult your wife’s doctor regarding these two possibilities. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.