Pain Management Community
BURNING LEG AND FOOT PAIN WHEN LAYING DOWN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

DEAR SIRS,    I AM A 59 Y.O.C. MALE WITH A PAST BACK SURGERY FOR HERNIATED DISC 20 YEARS AGO AT WHICH POINT THE SURGEON SAID I MIGHT HAVE DEGENERATIVE DISC DESEASE, AND A RECENT DIAGNOSIS OF SPONDOLOSIS MODERATE 3 YEARS AGO - - - WHEN I LAY DOWN TO SLEEP I FEEL LEG AND FOOT PAIN,  USUALLY A BURNING SENSATION ON THE SIDE OF MY CALF.  TURN OVER, AND A FEW SECONDS LATER IT STOPS, AND THEN THE OTHER LEG STARTS, SO I TURN OVER THE OTHER DIRECTION, AND REPEAT THE PROCESS OVER AND OVER UNTILL I TAKE A TYLENOL NO. 3 WITH CODENE.  OFTEN I WAKE UP AROUND 4AM, AND THE PAIN WILL NOT LET ME GO BACK TO SLEEP, SO I GET UP AND WALK AROUND FOR 15 MINUTES, AND IT GOES AWAY COMPLETELY.  IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I LAY DOWN . . .  DURING THE DAY NO PROBLEM.
Hi Mark,

First I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. I want to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum only CP - Chronic Pain - Patients that help each other with our OWN expertise and experiences that we have developed through our OWN CP Issues.

I'm sorry that you are having to live with this burning pain!!  I have been suffering from burning pain when I lay down at night also.  Mine is on the top of my Femur.  The burning pain that I have is from NERVE pain.  I have feeling that is what yours is also.  Remember, what I said above - I'm NOT a Doctor - BUT My PM {Pain Management} Doctor has put me on Gabapentin and it was JUST increased from 300 mg's once a day to 300 mg's 3 times a day and for the FIRST time last night I DIDN'T have the burning sensation!!!  As I said Burning pain it NORMALLY caused by nerve pain.  I have SEVERE DDD {Degenerative Disc Disease} and have had 6 RFA's.  My nerve pain is coming AFTER I had a THR {Total Hip Replacement} and is coming from my Sciatic Nerve.  

I HOPE that you are able to find a Doctor that can diagnose your pain and get you some help QUICKLY!!  I KNOW how TERRIBLY painful it is at night for you.

I look forward to your updates as to how you are doing.........Sherry  :)
The RFA - Radio Frequency Ablation is a procedure where they go in and burn certain nerves that are causing the pain.  It "kills" them BUT only temporarily as they WILL eventually grow back.  So far mine has lasted for 10 months and shows NO signs of quitting working.  It can last anywhere from one year to 18 months.  I've seen one person that is lasted for 2 YEARS!!! I'm HOPING and PRAYING that is what will happen with mine.  IF it doesn't, I won't HESITATE for ONE minute to do it once again.  I can't begin to teel you the relief that I've had from it.  Mine was done because of the SEVERE DDD {Degenerative Disc Disease}. They did the lower part of my back {below the waist}, I believe that is the Lumbar Area.  I get confused on the different areas.  :)  It DOES NOT cause ANY paralyzing affect at all.  It just stops the pain!!  

I have NO idea if you would be a candidate for this procedure or not.  You would need to talk with your Doctor about it.  Since you are in Costa Rica, I have NO idea about this.  It MIGHT be worth checking on as certain types of this procedure have been around for the past 82 years.  You will NEVER know IF you don't ask.  :)

PLEASE let us know what you are able to find out. :)

I will be looking for your NEXT update.........Sherry  :)