Pain Management Community
Back, side and stomach pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Back, side and stomach pain

Recently I moving boxes and bent over to write on one and when I stood back up and I the worst pain in my left side that I have ever had.  I thought I had pulled a muscle and thought the pain would go away.  Well it hasn't, 2 1/2 months later.  I've had my kidneys checked (CT scan) and I have 3 very small stones that are not moving.  Dr said the problem was muscle or bones.  There is blood in the urine, no pain to go to the bathroom.  Went to an Orthopedic dr today had another CT scan and 7 chest and side xrays.  All show negative.  Pain is radiating from back, to side to front with severe aches and pinpoint needle stabs in back and stomach area.  No vomiting, still have an appetite. No fever but do get chilled occassionally.  Don't know what Dr. to turn to next or what I should do.  Pain level on hydrocodone is around a 5 but off meds is a 10+.  Any suggestions as to what to do???
Hello Isdmrs,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post...but sorry to hear about your 2 1/2 ordeal with pain.

Instead of a CT why have they not done an MRI of your spine? It will provide a more detailed picture of the structure and may also provide some clues as to why the pain continues.

Have they order Physicial Therapy? If it is indeed muscle related a course of PT may help you tone and strengthen the area....thus improving your pain. It is true that in some instances muscle strain can take significant time to heal. Are you rotating ice and heat to the area? What if any treatment have your physicians ordered?

If you are not improving in a week or two I would either return to the ortho or seek a second opinion. If you decide on a second opinion be sure NOT to see another ortho that is closely associated with the first. In my opinion physicians associated with a large teaching facility are often on the cutting edge of medical science and I would consult one.

Please let us know how you are progressing. I will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thanks for responding.  No they haven't ordered an MRI.  The Ortho dr push up and down the spine and I didn't have any pain.  Pain is mostly on the left side with the pin pricks on the stomach. So far they have ordered pain management.  No one has said anything about physical therapy.  I slept on a heating pad (only heats for an hour) and this morning the urine is very brown.  I thought about calling the kidney dr. again.  I've taken the pain meds again and I'm so groggy I'm concerend about driving so I haven't called anyone.  Hopefully I'll only take 1 pill tonight and won't be as bad tomorrow so I can call another dr. I'll suggest theraphy to my regular dr and see if we can get that.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Brown colored urine is certainly not normal unless you consume large amounts of fava beans, rhubarb or aloe.  here are some medications including ATBs, laxatives containing cascara or senna and a muscle relaxer. There are also disease conditions that can change your urine to a brown or tea color. These are based in the liver or kidney.

Have you been able to produce this unusual colored urine sample to your PCP for evaluation? If not you might want to have a sterile or clean covered container to do a urine catch. If you can do this be sure to refrigerate it and deliver it to your PCP office asap.

You may want  post on MedHelp's Urology Forum. Please be assured that you are always more then welcome here. However this the Urology Forum may be able to offer you better suggestions....or at least more suggestions. Here's the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Urology/show/52

I encourage you to contact your physician and report the urine color. Please let us know how you are doing. I'll be thinking of you.

Peace,
~Tuck
Ever since yesterday before tea time i was outside having a smoke and i got a sharp pain just under my left brest. Since then i have pain in my lower back both sides.right side sems worse when sitting down. when i go out my back and sides hurt so does the bottom right leg