Bad pain in my hips when trying to sleep
It's hard for me to sleep on my back because I've had two back surgeries and hard to lie on my stomach too.  So, I end up on one side or the other.  But I wake up with EXTREME pain in my hip if I have been lying on it for over an hour.  So I basically wake up every hour or less.  I change sides and the same thing happens.  My other hip begins to ache so bad I can hardly stand it.  I don't know if it is related to all the hardware in my back and my spine is still out of alignment but has anyone else experienced this?  If so, what do you do?  It seriously interferes with sleeping.  I can't afford a new mattress but the one I have is not really that bad.
Hello Kiylen,

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry to hear about all the pain you are experiencing but I am glad you found us.

We've had several posts very recently regarding hip pain so excuse me if I sound like a broken record. On of the post common causes of hip pain is bursitis. There are two bursae in the hip region. A bursa is a closed fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues of the body. The bursae of the hip is the largest of the body. When it is inflamed it is called trochanter bursitis. It is very painful. Touch can increase the pain as can motion or just resting on it. I have had bursitis of both hips. It is easily treated with an injection of a steroid.

Please don't think that I am not saying that you have bursitis. It's just my opinion and I am not an expert. Your symptoms mimic that of bursitis. However there are many conditions that can cause hip pain including arthritis.

The only way you can have a definitive diagnosis is to see your PCP. Your PCP may refer you to an Ortho. I suggest that you consult your physician. As I said it is fairly easy to treat. The injections are not painful but they are a bit uncomfortable. You might want to try a foam topper on your mattress though it has not helped when I have had a bursitis flare to any great degree.

Please let us know of your progress. I will watch for your updates with interest. Best of luck to you and take care.

Peace,
Tuck  
Thanks so much.  I had forgotten all about the injections you can get.  I had gotten some years before in my hips and knees for similar problems.  Hips, yeah it hurts, knees, it REALLY hurts.  Unfortunately, I just saw my ortho last week so I'm going to see if my PCP will do it for me.  If not, I'll go back to my Ortho.  Thank you so much for reminding me of that because if I remember right, it provided a good bit of relief at least for a couple of months or so.  Have a great day!