Pain Management Community
Besides Methadone???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Besides Methadone???

My story is very familiar. Back pain, more back pain and then more after that. I'm 34 and have had horrible back pain since I was injured at 17. Been a great life. {wince} :)

Right now I'm 11 days into Methadone and am wondering if there is something else out there I can take that's as effective without some of the negatives.

Drugs I have taken and the results:

Vicodin: These are actually breath mints right?
Lortab: Works okay for 1 hour the other 3 to 6 can be a downer.
Norco 10/325: Works good for 3 hours if I take 3 of them. That won't last. Soon it will be 4, then, then...
OxyCodone/Percocet 10/325: Works good for 3 hours if I take 3 of them.  That won't last. Soon it will be 4, then, then...
OxyContin + OxyIR: A huge disappointment. Just pass the breath mints. (2 hours pain relief, 10 of pain)
120Mg Avinza: A huge disappointment. Just pass the breath mints. (Zero pain relief.)
Methadone 10Mg: Taking twice a day. Works great. Breaking through with Hydrocodone or Oxycodone.

Now here's the deal. My name brand drug coverage means I pay 50% and I just cannot afford that at all. My generic drug coverage no matter what it is means I pay $10. That's nifty!!!

I cannot afford surgery, massage, accupuncture or anything else. Sometimes the $10 a month is hard and I have to call my parents for help.

All of our money goes to taking care of our chronically sick child (Jejunal Atresia) or to the bills related to her care. So there just isn't any left at the end of the month for me.

Can anyone suggest a good generic that works as well/better than Methadone without the negatives that come with Methadone?

Thanks a ton!!!

Rex
I truly wish there were an alternative-for both of us!  The great thing about methadone is: It works for pain management.  The bad thing is: it can destroy your body with its evil twin sister 'calcium leach'.  I've been researching methadone for the past 2 weeks as a result of some head banging information re: side effects and have come to the conclusion that we are helping and harming our bodies at the same time with methadone.

It helps-you gotta work right?  You have those sweet kids to support and your exceptional daughter to take care of.  But right now, as you take the methadone, try to supplement with calcium from day 11...perhaps, just perhaps you won't have the leaching from your bones and teeth that has happened to me in just 5 years.  I wish someone woulda told me of these consequences at the start and I am going to tell my pain doc she owes it to her methadone patients to give full disclosure about it + some nutritional options to go along with it.

Rex--watch your food intake, take good good care of your teeth (listen to your granny here!).  The dry methadone mouth you have in the morning is causing daily damage to your gums and teeth.  If you live close to the $$ line, you can't afford expensive dental care either so do preventive things.

So these are my suggestions--cal/mag (it's cheap) and brush/floss several times a day.  It's just my opinion that these things can help-I have no medical background, but I am a mom and grandma and thus a wise ole' crone.  And it can't hurt either.

Very best of luck on your journey and thanks for you support post on Addiction.
elle
Hi Stricklyforpain,

Welcome to our pain management community. Yes your story is very familiar. Methadone is inexpensive and it works. As January stated it robs your bones of Calcium, therefore you must replace that loss before it shows in your teeth and bone density.

Rex if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Are you meaning that you can't afford the methadone?? If so talk to your physician. There are many drug companies that will take your income into account and your drugs are free. Usually they will send you a 3 month supply through your physician. I was able to obtain all my step-mothers drugs for not nothing on that program. It is a lot of paper work and there of course a income requirements but they took all their expenses into account. Her meds were over a grand a month.

I wish you the very best. Keep us updated and take care of yourself, you have some precious children that will need you for years to come. I look forward to your next post. Tuck

Hi. I was where you were a while ago, finding that the Common pain meds just didn't work anymore. I'm wondering if you've tried Fentanyl? This is round the clock pain treatment and really dows the job. I have had CP since 1990 when I encountered back problems. Being on pain mes on and off for that many years has built up a tolorance to where not much worked anymore. The Doctor introduced me to Fentanyl and it finally allowed me to do the things I love without the constant pain. It is very strong and takes some getting use to but in my world, it's worth it.   Just a thought......

Take care,
Mollyrae
Yes Strictly for pain, the Fentanyl Patch was a God sent for my Mom who was in "screaming" pain following a biracial plexus injury during heart surgery. And Mollyrae swears by it too. I think it is a bit more expensive than Methadone, isn't it Mollyrae? But it does wonders.

I am sad to report that I had an allergic type reaction to it. But it did help my pain. Good luck and again, please keep us posted. Tuck
The Fentanyl Patch is around $244.00 for 14 patches per month. That is without insurance. Most insurances pay for it.