Pain Management Community
Bone Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Bone Pain

I have FMS and for a few years now I have been having pain that feels like it is inside my bones: leg, collar bone, arm, sternum, etc. I have had scans - no cancer - but the bone pain feels like a rod inside my bones in various places. It is worse on some days, but I haven't been able to find a connection to anything.  I'm wondering if anyone else has pain like this and if there is an explanation?
thanks & happy new year
Hi Tanglewood,

I am sorry for your pain. Bone pain is one of the worse pains you can have and it is difficult to treat.

Because you have had a bone scan you should find some comfort in knowing it was negative for disease. A bone cancer or other bone disease would show up on a scan.

I do not have FMS though some years ago I was incorrectly diagnosed with Myofascial Pain Syndrome. There are others that may have more information than I do and they should post soon.

When my SIJ Dysfunction is flaring it feels like I have bone pain. I am told it's due to the pulling of the muscles, tendons and ligaments on my bones that cause this pain. It is very painful and feels to me like it is the bone itself that is hurting. But I, like you have had "the tests" and my bones are fine. If your pain is like mine I know how it feels!! Ouch!!

Please let us know how you are doing. I appreciate your input into our community. I will look forward to your updates. Take Care, Tuck
Hi Tuck,

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense; with everything I have going on (all the changes in my body) it makes sense to me that the bone pain could be from the muscles, tendons, and ligaments pulling on them. Having bone pain in my collar bones and sternum, with disc degeneration and arthritis in my shoulders; it seems highly likely that my bone pain is just what you said. Thanks! :)