Pain Management Community
Burning, peeling, red fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Burning, peeling, red fingers

My fingertips burn like they're on top of a fire all the time. They also peel, starting from under my nail, to the first joint. This has happened once before last summer and once again in the summer they're acting up. My mother thinks it may be food alergies (allergies) to crabs or the clorine in the pool. I have no clue in what to do now. We have tried some of the creams to try and sooth the pain, but it does nothing except make them worse. They have a red-ish color to the tips but they rest of my hand is perfectly fine, no discoloration, no pain or anyhting. Doctors have thought it was Raynaulds but i still have a feeling it's something else. Blood tests have shown that im fine, but I'm VERY sure I'm not fine. Please, please help me!! I'm only an 11 year old and this was quite hard to type with the pain.
Dear Kirsten:  I am so sorry to hear this.  Please keep in mind that we are chronic pain patients, not doctors.

That being said, it very well could be an allergy.  Does this only happen after you get out of the pool?  Or after you eat seafood?  Your mom could be absolutely right.  It's obvious that she is very concerned about you.  So why don't you try staying out of the pool and avoiding seafood for a while and see if that helps.

You could also post this on the Dermatology forum:  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/show/65

Good luck sweetie.  Please keep us updated on how you are.

Sara
Hello Sweetheart,

My goodness I think that you are the youngest person that I've seen on the Forum. You must understand that there are no Doctor's on this Forum but ONLY CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our own expertise on our own pain experience.

Kirsten, I don't feel comfortable trying to tell a young lady your age what might be causing your pain. I just feel that your Mom and your Doctor should be handling this for you. It sounds like your Mom is on top of what's happening with your fingers. I can tell from what you are saying that they are extremely painful.

The reason that I'm not comfortable giving advice is that I don't want you to go and try something that I might suggest at the age of 11 WITHOUT your Mom's OK. I'm just afraid that you might do that because of what you said about the "Doctor's feeling that it is Raynaud's but that you have a feeling it's something else."

If the Dr's have done blood tests and they have come out OK that's GOOD news. I WILL tell you that allergies CAN do this to your fingers sometimes.

I hope that you will give your Mom and the Doctor's a chance to help you. Especially since this ISN'T the first summer that this has happened.

I will tell you one thing, when I was a teenager, I had pretty much  the same reaction with my fingers and it was from the HEAT and sweating. Mine even got LITTLE pin point pimples on them. I used Baby Powder to keep them dry and it helped me get rid of it.

That's something that is safe to do AND it might take care of it.

There might be others along later that might be more comfortable sharing diagnosis with you. I'm sorry that I'm just not that comfortable. MY Granddaughter is one year older than you are and I wouldn't be comfortable having her get suggestions off of the internet and POSSIBLY try something without her Mom's or my knowledge.  :)

Sweetheart, I hope that you can get this under control so that you won't have this bothering you.

I wish you the best and I hope that you will let us know how you are doing.:)..Sherry
Ask Mom to schedule an appointment with an allergist/immunologist if all else fails.

Get better -- you're wayyyy to young to feel ill.  

Peace.
Go to an Rheumatologist, my sister in  law has the exact thing and I'm sorry but I think  
it's  called Reynards syndrome, her fingers and hands get real red and cold, and it looks weird.  It is a rheumatologist issue.  Find a good rheumy in your area and they should be able to help!
Yes, I do know that there's no doctors. I was saying we've been to a few doctors before and they thought it may be Raynaulds but weren't quite sure if it was or not.

namnam46,
I'm absolutly fine about that if your not comfortable. My mother does know about me on this websight, and I'm letting her read what I put and what others put.

Kristen
I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your question! Um..The pool just softens my skin to make them peel, and crabs are the only seafood making them peel. I took your advise in staying away from them for a bit and they still are VERY, VERY sore! I've been up for 3 straight nights and days because my fingers are just to painful to fall asleep with.
Well then it does seem that the crabs are not the problem.  So I agree with the others.  See a Rheumatologist if that's cool with your mom.

Good luck sweetie:
Sara
Good for you Kirsten!  I just wanted to be sure that your Mom was aware of this. I'm sure that she has EVERYTHING under control for you. She's going to be sure that you get the correct treatment. They'll figure it out and you'll be good as new again!!

I hope that you (and your Mom) will keep us informed on ehre about how you are doing as we will ALL be concerned about you!!

I hope that we've been able to help you in some way and that you get some relief VERY soon. I remember how much MY fingers used to ITCH and burn. Mine very well might have been something different than yours though. Because mine was DEFINITELY from the heat and sweating and the Baby Powder made mine go away.

Good Luck Sweetheart, we are CONCERNED about you.....Sherry (NamNam to my Granddaughters)  :)
If the crabs are boiled, you might be reacting more to the crab boil than the crabs themselves.  The capsacin in the hot peppers used in the boil seasoning can really burn tissues.  I got similar but much milder symptoms back when I could still eat things like  boiled crawfish and crabs.  Same thing goes for cutting up fresh hot peppers of any kind - I have to wear gloves now if I'm prepping Mexican or Cajun foods.  LOL!

It takes a lot of direct handling to get all the meat out of a boiled crab so your hands are coming in contact with the boil ingredients longer than if you were peeling boiled shrimp.  It's worth considering anyway.  Hoping you're doing a bit better by now, and say hi to your Mom for us.  :-)
I honestly do not believe this is a rheumatologic condition, but rather one than can be best handled by an allergist/immunologist.  I hope you consider my advice.
My fingertips/hands do the same thing when I peel/eat lobster. it's very painful, tingling sensation, almost like a sunburn. they peel down to the first knuckle, then it's gone. It's only when I peel/crack the shell myself, I can eat it when it's lazyman's lobster just fine. I've never heard anyone else with this issue. Let me know if you hear anyone else with this condition.
Jeni H