Burning sensation/pain on top of left hand regularly
I am quite healthy but not really as active as I used to be.  I have developed a strange pain on the top of my left hand.  If you look at the top of your left hand, make a line from the little finger joint to the index finger joint then continue the line to the thumb joint then continue to the right side of the left wrist then across to the left side of the left wrist then back to the little finger joint, thus outlining the topside of the palm of the hand area.
Pretty much, right in the middle of that area draw a circle 1.5" in diameter.
That's where my hand hurts.

The pain is not severe enough to lay me up but it's the only type of pain like that I have in my whole body anytime and it's rather noticeable when "invoked".

It's at it's worst first thing in the morning, right after waking.  I get out of bed and go to the bathroom, then wash my hands and go to dry them.  If my left hand is say half closed, the dragging of the towel, even gently, over that area causes a very severe pain.  If I make a point to straighten my hand before applying the towel, the pain is greatly reduced.

I have had it for 4-6 weeks now and it's not abating.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

Regards and Thanks
Hello Darwin,

Welcome to MedHelp's Pain Mangement Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. Thank you for providing such a detailed picture of the location of your pain and burning.

Obviously it's a very specific area. Burning pain usually is indicative of nerve pain. One of the things that come to mind is Carpel Tunnel but you really don't fit that true picture.

RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) is another thought but again you don't seem to present with the classic symptoms.

I assume you do not have diabetes which could cause some peripheral nerve damage.

I suggest that you make an appointment with your PCP and request some nerve studies. The longer you wait the more advanced any condition could become. So the sooner the better. I find it interesting that it is more pronounced in the morning. My last guess(es) would be some early arthritis or the beginning of shingles.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Your symptoms are so interesting. I will look forward to hearing from you again. Please do not ignore this even though it is not terribly bothersome at this point.

Take Care,
~Tuck    
I have this exact pain on the top of my left hand!  Cannot dry hand with a towel or put lotion on.  I have experienced this same pain a couple times on the front of my legs.Had gloves on the other day and when I went to take them off I about jumped out of my skin it hurt so bad.  I do have chronic OA, fibromyalgia and am pre-diabetic on metformin.
Definitely take Tuckamore's advice and see your primary care physician. Pain is the body's way of saying somethings wrong. Severe pain is surely a sign of a problem. Good luck with whatever it is causing this, and please let us know how you make out.
                                                       sean