Pain Management Community
Butt/Leg Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Butt/Leg Pain

I am a 26 year old, active, healthy female...except for this leg/butt discomfort I've had for the past 8 years.  It happens when I'm sitting or laying down...wherever the pressure is on my legs/butt is where there is pain.  I work out almost daily, and I eat rather healthy, along with taking a multi-vitamin and other supplements each day.  I've worked with many doctors and chiropractors, and I've had xrays, MRIs, nerve tests, prolotherapy injections, adjustments, etc.--and nothing has worked.  I've seriously stumped so many people.  We've even tried medications for Restless Leg Syndrome...even though I don't have itching or numbness in my legs, and I don't have any problem sleeping.  Whenever I've had to sit for even 30 minutes or more, I have a strong desire to get up as soon as possible, and move around and stretch.  I do yoga 3-4 times a week, and that does seem to help my symptoms, but it doesn't cure or prevent it from happening again.  If I have an alcoholic drink or 2, I've noticed that I can sit without any pain.  But obviously, I can't have an IV of alcohol constantly in me, so I'm still searching for some sort of diagnosis and solution.  If anyone could help me, I would be forever grateful to you!!!!!  I've pretty much lost hope of ever being able to enjoy sitting in a chair or sleeping on my back like a normal person. :-(
Hello Cherimarie,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am so glad that you found us and took the time to post. However I am very sorry to hear about your pain. We all know how chronic pain can bring challenges to our life.

Have your physicians considered that this could be related to your SIJ (sacroiliac joint)? If you can point to the exact spot in your buttocks that the pain originates from it may be your SIJ. The condition is often over-looked and under diagnosed. If you would like more information about the SIJ please let me know.

I don't beleive the restlessness that you describe accompanies SIJ issues. However the pain that you describe is very much like SIJ. It's just a thought if you haven't ruled it out.

Have you seen a rheumatologist or an Internal Medicine DO (doctor of osteopathy)? If not they may have some suggestions for you. I am so sorry that you have been unsuccessful in finding a diagnosis.

Please don't give up. I know it is frustrating but please don't be discouraged.I encourage you to keep looking. Have you had a consult at a large national clinic? Are you being seen at a clinic that is associated with a large teaching hospital?  

I wish you the very best and hope that you will find a resolution to your pain in the near future. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Eight years is a long time to suffer with undiagnosed symptoms.

Take Care,
~Tuck

When I read your post, my first impression was SI joint as the causation of your pain, as well as Tuck's.  However, you failed to mention what part of the body you have had the MRI.  If you are of thin build, it could be possible that your coccyx is the root of the problem; in that, when you sit, there is not enough cushioning, and so it feels as  you are sitting directly on bone.

I'd recommending seeing an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and imaging studies.  Don't give up.  There is always a reason for everything.

Hope you're able to find relief soon.
Thanks for the comments!  To answer your questino--I had the MRI of my pelvic region, and it was normal, except for some minor tendonosis.  And I definitely do have enough cushioning...and I actually prefer to sit on a hard chair because it seems like there is pressure on less of my legs/butt.  I have not yet seen an Internal Medicine DO, nor have I consulted at a large teaching hospital or national clinic.  I should definitely look into all of those!  Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming! :)