Pain Management Community
CAN TENS HELP WITH TRAPPED NERVE PAIN.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

CAN TENS HELP WITH TRAPPED NERVE PAIN.

Have a trapped nerve in my neck with pain to the right side of my left shoulder blade and down my inner left arm.

Would a TENS machine help with the pain, been prescribed Tramadol and Diclafenac. But need something extra

Please Advise

Thanx

Kel

Hello and welcome to MH.
I am sorry to hear of your discomfort. I have heard positive and negative things about the TENS units. In some cases it worked and othes it did not. I guess with the discomfort you are having, it is woth a try.
I have not personally used the devise but others have and will post as the day goes on.
Take care and good luck.
Mollyrae
I am taking tramadol and lyrica for nerve pain.  I've recently been using a TENS and have found that it does provide relief.  I have been using it for two mos. only to discover that my insurance co. will not pay for it.  I'm now filing an appeal.

Before receiving the TENS I had located someone on Ebay who was selling a Low Frequency massager.  It looked like a TENS, but cost about $12.00.  I purchased it and was using this, until my doc. prescribed an official one.  Now, one can not sell a TENS unit without a prescription (that is why this is called a massager).  It works upon the same principal as a high priced TENS, except it's not as sophisticated and doesn't have all the settings available and it's not as technical.  I've found that this works as well as the high priced devices.  

I'm not promoting this device, nor selling them.  I just happened to come across one when searching Ebay and thought you may check into this should your ins. co. deny the purchase of one, or if you just wanted to try it out first.

Wishing you the best of luck.
I use one and it works for me! not well enough to get a SCS ,thats an implanted one. hope this helps.
Hi Kellyvee,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum of MedHelp. I am glad you found us but sorry you are in such pain.

TENS" is the acronym for Trans-cutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. A "TENS unit" is normally a pocket size, portable, battery-operated device that sends electrical impulses to the nerves at the locations of your body that is experiencing pain. It's goal is to block or confuse the pain signals. The impulses can prevent pain signals or "messages" from being transmitted to the brain. It also may raise the level of  endorphins that are the natural pain killers produced by the brain thus reducing your pain.

I could not tolerate the stimulation on my skin, it was too painful. My skin in the area where my pain is located became hypersensitive due to severe injuries caused from a MVA. Others have reported good relief with the use of a TENS unit.

You can purchase the unit on the internet without a prescription for about $100.00. However all TENS units require the monitoring and use teaching of a good technician. I would not recommend you do so unless like VaBreeze who did have the advice and direction of a technician, if I understand her post correctly.

I think you can rent one through your local PT Department to see if it is effective for you, at least you are able to do so in my region of the country. I wish you the best of luck. I am hopeful you will obtain some additional relief from your pain . Please let us know how you are doing. I will look forward to your next update. Peace, Tuck

Hi sorry to hear that you are in pain. I have used the TENS unit and for my pain it worked well. I now have an implanted SCS unit and again for me it hepls alot. I would ask your Dr about it if he/she is unsure you might need to see a PM Dr that was who perscribed mine. My wife has used it for shoulder pain and she says it helps her alot. How that you are able to find something that helps with the pain.

R/
Adam
Yes, I did go upon the advice of my physician and when I received the TENS I went to the therapy unit so they could show me how to operate it.  

I had read somewhere that they couldn't be sold without a prescription, but you know how info. on the internet is...sometimes not that accurate.  I'm going to check into that because the co. I was renting this from will sell it to me for $350. so $100. sounds much better.

Best wishes to all and many pain free days!
I have the exact same problem at the moment,have had a couple of sessions wiht the chiropractor,and he sid for me to use my tens machine.If you have one it should be able to change the pulse frequency to suit you.When i first got mine it was adjusted to stimulate an elephant and i nearly went through the roof.While im so sensitive i usse it on a lower pulse that is softer,then i slowly turn it up.But its not made to hurt that is no good to you,just pulsing away softly really helps.There should be about 3 different dials for you to adjust.I paid $150.00 for mine,I bought it from my chiropractor as there were heaps on ebay and other sites.If you dont have on be careful where you get it from and make sure that there is a warranty.Mine come from America.Its called a PRO_TENS and you can only get it through a doctor or health care proffessional. that what it says on the back of the machine is it Federal Law in the USA. hope this info helps.
How do I get a TENS?

Speak to your physician or physical therapist about procuring a TENS unit.

You do need a prescription.

Usually they are available to rent and buy, and sometimes your insurance plan will pay for them. The company that offers you the unit should be able to assist you with the financial aspects.

TENS units can cost anywhere from $200 to over $800. One way to see if you would benefit from having one of your own rather than using your physician's or physical therapist's, is to rent one for a month to make sure it is worth the expense.

http://www.*************.com/chronic-pain/treatment-36204-5.html

Here is the info. that I was speaking about that says it requires a prescription when purchasing a TENS unit.  

Wishing you all pain free days ahead.
VaBereeze is correct about the trial basis through a Physical Therapist an a trial period as was also suggested by others. It is the best way to see if it is effect for you. Add to the fact that they are trained in it's operation and function it is the only way to approach it.

But I am able to purchase a TENS on line without a prescription. Don't ask me why I can and VaBrezze can't because I simply don't know the answer. I just am able to do so. I do not recommend that you go that route because you need proper training and monitoring with the TENS Unit. Additionally if you decide to buy the unit and have a prescription your insurance company may pick up a big portion of the tab.

Peace, Tuck
Most physio's and chiro's have them,my chiro gave me one on loan for 2 weeks to see if i liked it first before i bought it.If you have a private health fund ask them if they cover a TENS.I got back 100% of what i paid.