Pain Management Community
Calf Muscle Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Calf Muscle Pain

I have been experiencing over the past few weeks really bad calf muscle pain, in both legs. When I wake up in the morning I can barely walk down the steps. This goes on for most of the day, and tends to lighten up towards the evening. I have never had this happen before, and I'm a little worried about it. Google hasn't provided me with any information regarding this type of pain. Any information on it would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum.

I assume that you are not doing anything different as the obvious would be that you are using your lower leg muscles more than you once did. Other concerns would be a vitamin or mineral deficiency, an electrolyte imbalance. A low level of Potassium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 or similar deficiencies could account for calf muscle pain.

Another possibility, though less likely is thrombophlebitis. However it is highly unlikely that it would effect bilaterally.  Other symptoms of this condition would include redness, warmth and swelling.  

You are young and it is doubtful that you have have arterial (arteries) insufficiency but all possibilities should be considered. Normally this pain is more intermittent and comes with exercise as your muscles require more oxygen that is supplied by your blood. However a venous (veins) insufficiency comes when blood doesn't pump away from the calf muscles effectively. Pain from this condition more often comes after sleep or rest.

There are multiple conditions that could be causing your symptoms, certainly I am not suggesting that you have any of the above. However after experiencing pain for two weeks, in my opinion it is time for a good clinical work up. I would make an appointment with your PCP and have this evaluated.

I am sorry that you are hurting and hope that you will share with us the results of your appointment. Best of luck to you. I will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck