Pain Management Community
Calf Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Calf Pain

I keep having pain in my calf almost daily that feels like something bursts in my leg.  I feel instant burning in the area above and below the area of greatest pain.  It happened the first time walking on a treadmill.  Not walking fast, just a steady pace.  Since then, it's happened three or four times.  All when I'm just walking on regular ground doing normal activities.  It's happened two days in a row now.  It's intense pain and gets very sore.  I initially though muscle tear, but didn't think it was likely for that to happen daily.

Any ideas?
~K
Hello Kelandky,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you posted but sorry to hear about your calf muscle pain.

The calf is made of three major muscles. These muscles are the two gastrocnemius muscles (medial and lateral), and the soleus muscle. Another smaller muscle, called the plantaris muscle, is also in the calf. Because of the way your pain begin my opinion is that you have strained or sprained one or several of these muscles.

A strain/sprain is painful and can be slow to heal when it occurs in an area that is almost impossible to rest. So rest as much as possible. Remember RICE, rest, ice compression and elevation, the gold standard in sprains and minor injuries. NSAID's if not contraindicated can also be helpful in the healing process.

Intermittent Claudication is a clinical diagnosis given for muscle pain (ache, cramp, numbness or sense of fatigue), classically the calf muscle, which occurs during exercise and is relieved by a short period of rest. There can be many causes for this which include vascular insufficiency's. If your pain persists or becomes constant or severe please consult your physician asap for a clinical evaluation.

I hope you will soon be feeling better. Don't ignore your symptoms. If your pain  wasn't bilateral I would be more concerned with a thrombophlebitis but that is also a possibility.  Please keep us updated on your condition. I will watch for your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck

It could be a pinched nerve, or herniated disc in your lower back. People with sciatica get calf pain, but the pain is also in the buttocks also. I hopethisisn't the case, but is a possibility. I also recommend seeing a doctor if this continues to bothe you. Good luck.