Pain Management Community
Calf pain after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Calf pain after surgery

I had orif tibial plateau surgery last monday and now I'm afraid the side effects may have been serious.. When I stand to go to the washroom my leg hurts.Specifically, my hip and calf. It's only when I stand though.  I'm not sure whether this is normal right after a surgery.. Could it be from the bandages being on too tight?
Hello GE,

Please forgive my tardy response. Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am so sorry to learn that you have post-op pain.

Is this a new pain or has have you been experiencing it since you have been standing to use the restroom? If this is brand new please report it to your physician....or even consider a trip to the ER of the hospital that your surgery was preformed. The bandages should not be so tight that they are causing you pain, swelling or other symptoms. If they are they that tight it is my opinion that they should be re-wrapped or re-done by a medical professional. At the very least they should be evaluated.

It's important the the circulation is not being restricted in any fashion. Have you noted a change in the coloring of your lower extremity? Is there increased swelling? Is there any increased warmth in the area? These are probably some of the questions you will be asked when you consult a medical provider.

If the pain is not new it may be part of the post-op but I wouldn't assume that. I would still discuss it with your surgeon.  

I worked in ER and it was not unusual for us to receive calls from post-op patients regarding symptoms similar to yours. Indeed we received all kinds of phone in questions. So if nothing else I would call your local ER.

Please let us know how you are progressing. I will look forward to your updates with interest. I wish you the very best.

Take Care,
~Tuck

There are other things that should be considered in my above response. I have just listed a few and for that reason you should contact a medical professional. Calf pain post-op could have other causes.

Again My Best to You,
Tuck