Can massage damage your spine? Please help
I have scoliosis and I had massage today. Therapist pushed my spine too hard and I felt strong pain. This was the place that caused pain to me before, but now I feel like it was crushed and pain is terrible. I'm afraid that this massage damaged my spine that I was trying to heal for so long. Did anyone hear about smiliar case?
Should I do xray or magnetic resonance to determine the damage, or go directly to hospital?
In my opinion if you have a massage therapist who is inexperienced and does not know what she/he is doing then yes they can cause damage.
If you are in pain and believe there may be something wrong then definitely go to the ER! You know your body better than anyone does so listen and if it is really nothing wrong then I say better safe always!
Let us know how your doing and what the docs say:)
My niece who is about to graduate from massage school will call me back shortly and I will see what she says too.
Hi and welcome to the Pain Management Forum.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the massage therapist. When I see my D.O. for manipulations my pain is often greater for the next 24 hours and than subsides and I feel better. However I don''t think a massage therapist should not be "moving" anything.

I agree that you should have your pain evaluated. I also think that you should notify the massage therapist. Please keep us posted on your outcome. We all learn from one another. We will look forward to hearing from you again.

Take Care, Tuck  
Thanks, I will post the outcome. I had this massage 28 hours ago and it still hurt. I fear that 2 years of treating pain were wasted, I would kill myself.
My niece said she believes you may have an inexperience therapist who is not really aware of the implications of what one small mistake could do to someone in your condition. She advises that you speak to your doctor and see if he can refer you to one who is experienced with working on someone who has scoliosis or any other spine disorder.
I don't want any more feckless rehabilitation, I'm just going to check if this injury is temporary, if not, I give up.
I can't say as I blame you. Eighteen months ago I "splurged" on a massage chair. The prices differences were huge. The most well know and of course most expensive was $2,800!! I was prepared to pay it as I find massage relieves some of my discomfort and often breaks up the painful nerve synapse.

I searched and tried several chairs. I found that the best for me was $1,600 and I bought it. It is almost as good as a massage. Indeed during the night I was in it three times. Up may want to look into one of these chairs. I am told with a physicians perscription some insurances or medicare will pay for at least a portion of the cost. Mine did not and I paid the entire amount. As far as I am concerned it was a good buy.

Good luck, I hope the therapist did not do any permanent damage.
Peace, Tuck