Pain Management Community
Car accident back and knee pain over a year now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Was in a car accident in feb 2012 hurt back and left knee. have done physical therapy, epidural injections, and been to a chiropractor for back and no relief and now a pain management dr for back and they are now just listening to me about my knee and they havent even been able to pin point whts going on with my back except i do have digenerative disc disease that i didnt know i had and all my problems are with L4,L5 and S1.I have to wear a back brace, use tens machine every day, had emgs, mylograms, you name it its been done and my knee has gotten worse and the mri says High grade fissure at the median ridge of the patella with trace subjacent subchondral marrow edema, and thin medial patellar plica. I have not worked for a year because of this accident and the knee is getting worse. I saw a orthopedic dr and he said lose weight and physical therapy to strengthen my knee its because my leg has become weak. how did that happen when it got hurt in my accident. I have been to 2 neurosurgeons, 2 pain management drs, had months of physical therapy that only made things worse and the accident wasnt my fault. I cant even do simple things around the house without being in pain but i dont just sit around either i still do things but have to sit down after like 3-5 mins depending on what it is and riding in or driving is very painful.....I need answers and the drs are not helping me.
Tags: Pain, degenartive disc disease on L, L5 disc digeneration, S1 bulging disc, MRI Findings, Have had emgs and mylogram
Hi!
The pain in knee could be due to patella chondromalacia or injury and subsequent softening of patella. It can cause fissures too. The treatment is pretty controversial. However, you need to give rest to the joint for extended period of time and use anti-inflammatory pain medication.  Application of ice pack also reduces inflammation and keeping the leg elevated keeps the pressure off the knee. You can take up swimming as an exercise if you have to lose weight as this will put the pressure off your knee while allowing you to exercise. How long it will take the knee to settle down cannot be said. But the right combination of rest, physiotherapy, use of anti-inflammatory medication helps treat this successfully. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for responding to my question. My pain management dr has brought up swimming as another course of physical therapy. I am on anit-inflammatory meds..a newer one called Vimovo. I am having problems discussing anything with my pain management dr. She isnt listening. But thank you again for the advice. Its just so hard because i can not even do simple things around the house anymore and I am so frustrated in 2 weeks it will have been a year of all this.