Pain Management Community
Celiac Plexus Block

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Celiac Plexus Block

My husband recently had a celiac plexus block to help with abdominal pain that he has been experiencing for the last 7 months.  The doctors have not been able to figure out why he has the pain so they think it could be nerve damage.  He had the celiac plexus block on a Thursday and it worked great for the first couple of days.  His original pain was in the middle of his abdomen just below his ribcage.  The Sunday after his procedure he started having a different pain, this time on both sides of his abdomen, as well as nausea and a constant headache.  The pain he was having previously is gone but now he has these other problems. He spoke with the doctor that performed the procedure and he isn't sure what is causing this. Does anyone know if these could be related to the celiac plexus block?  His doctor briefly started to mention a "rare side effect" but stopped himself and wouldn't say anything else.  My husband had a blood test to see if there something else going on, but everything came back normal.  My husband is trying to cut back on the pain meds he was taking prior to the block, so originally we thought it was withdrawal but it's been over a week and it hasn't gone away.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tags: nerve pain, celiac plexus block, nausea, abdominal
Hi!
The side effects of celiac plexus blocks are usually uncommon and include low blood pressure, weakness of legs, bleeding into abdomen, sexual dysfunction etc. If the pain has come after the block then there can be two main reasons. One is bleed into the abdomen—this can be mild or serious and immediately investigated. The other is that the block was not effective in controlling the pain.
It is difficult to fully understand this on net. I suggest you talk to your husband’s gastroenterologist and see whether causes such as IBS, Crohn’s celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, food allergies, chronic pancreatitis, gall stones, kidney stones, common bile duct stones etc have been looked into. Another possibility is chronic ischemia or low blood supply to mesentry—tissue that holds the intestine together. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.