Changing pain meds
I have been taking Methadone for many years at 120 mg. daily. i also take Oxycodone 30mg. 4/daily.  I am wanting to change up my meds due to high tolerance...any thoughts on Opana ER?

This discussion is related to left butt check pain that continues down my left leg.
Hello rhonda and welcome to the Pain Forum.

I have had great sucess with the Fentanyl Patch. I have used it for about a year now and it gives me around the clock relief for 48-72 hrs.

You may want to do some research on the Patch or chat with your Doctor about it.

I also take Oxycodone for breakthrough. Give it some thought.

Please take care,
Mollyrae
Hello Rhonda,

I am glad that you found us at the Pain Mangement Forum of MedHelp. We often  struggle with tolerance and finding the right medication that will control our chronic pain.

What works well for one person will not necessarily work well for another. It's usually trial and error. Has your physician suggested Opana ER? It's worth a try.

As Mollyrae suggested some ppl find that the fentanyl patch works well for them. You have several choices. Hopefully one of our members can give you some personal  information of Opana ER.

Please let us know how you are doing. We will look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
Tuck  
I understand your high tolerance issues and think that a change would be in order. Opana is strong and may be a good choice. It's too bad but it doesn't seem like dr. Jeffery the subdoc comes around here any more and this is called "ask the expert" right? All the best to you.
There is "ask the expert" forums here. if you click on forums it will give you a list of those here. There is alos a list of doctors that are experts here.
Hi, I was wondering how the methadone has worked for you. I have just moved from oxycontin to methadone.  So far it seems to work better for me, I haven't had much pain, it's been less than 1 week.  
Don't you know that methadone blocks all of the pain receptors in your brain, not allowing any other opioid to reach the receptor? All you are doing is taking a big risk for an overdose. Talk to your Dr. Choose one or the other. Peace
Hi there...

Just FYI but this is a very old thread...

Methadone is used often now in chronic pain management and in those doses, it does not have any blocking effect of other opiates. In fact, most people on Methdaone are also on a short acting opiate for breakthrough pain.

It is used in addiction recovery in different dosages...but that is usually to block heroine and just reduce cravings for medications but it doesn't have any type of "blocking" ingredient.

There are medications like Suboxone (which contains Buprenorphine and Naloxone) or Subutex (Buprenorphine) to help those with addiction issues.

But again...Suboxone in certain dosages can be used for chronic pain management as well. Buprenorphine is a semi-synthetic opiod. In higher dosages it can act as a partial opiod antagonist.

The only one that actually blocks other opiates is Naloxone itself. It is a pure opiod antagonist.

When someone actually overdoses and winds up in the ER...some can be quickly given Narcan (Naloxone) to help reverse the effects of the opiates taken.

I was on methadone for many years too control my pain. Methadone when using it every day does block other meds from working. The the only medication that works with methadone for break through is morphine. Ask your Dr. to give you morphine instead of oxycodone. This will help with your pain.
I know many people who take Vicodin, Percocet, any of the Hydrocodone and Oxycodone short acting meds, along with Dialudid, Nucynta, as well as Morphine...

They all work perfectly fine with levels of Methadone prescribed as a chronic pain managment med. It does not block any of those medications.