Pain Management Community
Chronic Pain AA ... haha

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Chronic Pain AA ... haha

I was just thinking with all the support groups in the world, I'm surprised I don't see more local support groups around.  Sort of an "AA for Chronic Pain."  The online support is terrific and I would truly be lost without it.  But wouldn't it be great to have a local support group for the times you're feeling good enough to get out.  You'd meet people in the same situation as yourself, people that understand.  I know at times I break plans because my pain is just too great, but people in the same situation would understand.

With all the time on my hands, maybe it's something I should think of starting locally.  There are so many people afflicted with chronic pain of all ages, and I think a few of the common denominators are:  depression and maybe a bit of guilt or shame.  I often push myself because I don't want to be seen as a complainer or a hypochondriac, which of course sets me back.

What do you think?
We are all on the same track with these CP groups! Im in! Every organization out there has their conventions Maybe we need to start our own? Where we can meet all sorts of people, and have classes meetings that kind of thing is this what youre talking about
Yeah, it is.  I think about how far I've come in my knowledge of things but how I sort of had to find it all by myself.  It would be great if there were local chapters where new and old CP patients could get information.  And if you could have a coffee hour once a month or so, it would be nice if you felt up to it to get out and meet people in the same situation as yourself.  Maybe networking with each other in ways that would be beneficial.  Someone needs a ride to a procedure, company, whatever.  (I know, for instance, my sister is tired of me asking her to drive me to procedures.  I don't blame her.  She has to take a day off work.  But I don't have anyone else.)

You could have all kinds of information for newcomers, like local pain management clinics, websites for them to check out, tips for dealing with chronic pain ... I think it could be a really good thing.
It would be an awesome thing. I myself have had to find out everything on my own! It was sometimes very frustrating, until i found this site where i have people to talk to I enjoy that the most! You guys are like my second family
I feel the sameway. One of my good friends deal with CP and we are always talking to each other, it is nice to have someone face to face to talk to about all of this. She is great and she does deal with alot more pain then I do. Bless her heart she is still there for me when I need her. So people that goes thru this also needs people to talk to face to face.
Jamie
Hmmm, maybe when my retirement goes through I'll start a local chapter and see where it goes.  It would be great for someone to pick up a brochure at their doctor's office that gives them sources and places to look instead of "googling" things, which, as we all know, isn't always safe.  I would have loved to have a ton of resources ... maybe a little binder with all sorts of information in it.  You could, for example, point out the importance of taking something like a stool softener when starting narcotics.  (I for one found out the hard way and became impacted after my first surgery ... not nice.  I was already in agony from the surgery (undermedicated.)  No one told me you could get constipated (and I was beyond that.)  So in hindsight I can sort of laugh, sending my daughter out to pick up everything under the sun that would get me going, none of which worked.  Then had to send her out to pick up an enema (and I had to pay her extra because that was just sooo embarassing).  That worked.  But, geez, why wouldn't they tell you how bad it can get.  And I know plenty of people that have similar stories to that.

I just think it could be such a great resource.  You could have a once-a-month meeting and sort of rant and vent and stuff.  Like we do here but within your own community, which could bring some benefits.