Pain Management Community
Chronic Pain (Migraine)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Chronic Pain (Migraine)

For over two years, I have struggled with severe migraines. Pain level on a good 7-8, on a bad 9-10. I had been to the E.R. several time  until I was able to get into a neurologist. Tried several different medicines, and used certain tools. Sadly, a month into it, I started to realize I was paying a ton of money for a doctor whom was never available. I have a friend who suggested a family doctor, whom I am currently seeing. He is wonderful. Open-minded, willing, and actually listens to me. I have been seeing him for approx. 2 months, and he currently has me on Verapamil ER 180 MG X1 daily, Nortriptyline 10 MG X1 @ bedtime, also Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5/325 4X a day for break thru pain, as well as Oxycontin 10 mg ER 2X a day. I have taken all of these meds for the last month, with little sucess of relief. Unfort. I have had to take both of my pain medications everyday the last month. My question is about tolerance. Up until recently, my oxycodone/acetaminophen in conjunction with the Oxycontin had been a lifesaver. I believe I have grown tolerant of the Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5/325. Do you think asking my doctor to up my mg on the Oxycodone/Acetaminophen would be too much with the Oxycontin? 7.5? Maybe. Hope all makes sense, and anyone willing to give me some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
A correction, clarifying that the two medications that have not brought me any relief would be the Verapamil, and Nortriptyline.
You said that the oxycodone was '4x a day for breakthrough pain'...this means 'as needed, up to 4x daily', correct? Have you been taking 4 a day, everyday?
Yes. But have felt like I needed to redose every few hours.
Today I went to the doctor, and explained to him the sitution. He was more than happy to write me a script for 7.5/325 oxycodone/acetaminophen. It is truly a godsend. I am very thankful for a wonderful doctor who is open-minded and willing to try certain medications without assumption or passing judgement.