Chronic Pain (Migraine)
For over two years, I have struggled with severe migraines. Pain level on a good 7-8, on a bad 9-10. I had been to the E.R. several time  until I was able to get into a neurologist. Tried several different medicines, and used certain tools. Sadly, a month into it, I started to realize I was paying a ton of money for a doctor whom was never available. I have a friend who suggested a family doctor, whom I am currently seeing. He is wonderful. Open-minded, willing, and actually listens to me. I have been seeing him for approx. 2 months, and he currently has me on Verapamil ER 180 MG X1 daily, Nortriptyline 10 MG X1 @ bedtime, also Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5/325 4X a day for break thru pain, as well as Oxycontin 10 mg ER 2X a day. I have taken all of these meds for the last month, with little sucess of relief. Unfort. I have had to take both of my pain medications everyday the last month. My question is about tolerance. Up until recently, my oxycodone/acetaminophen in conjunction with the Oxycontin had been a lifesaver. I believe I have grown tolerant of the Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 5/325. Do you think asking my doctor to up my mg on the Oxycodone/Acetaminophen would be too much with the Oxycontin? 7.5? Maybe. Hope all makes sense, and anyone willing to give me some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
A correction, clarifying that the two medications that have not brought me any relief would be the Verapamil, and Nortriptyline.
You said that the oxycodone was '4x a day for breakthrough pain'...this means 'as needed, up to 4x daily', correct? Have you been taking 4 a day, everyday?
Yes. But have felt like I needed to redose every few hours.
Today I went to the doctor, and explained to him the sitution. He was more than happy to write me a script for 7.5/325 oxycodone/acetaminophen. It is truly a godsend. I am very thankful for a wonderful doctor who is open-minded and willing to try certain medications without assumption or passing judgement.