Pain Management Community
Chronic Pain and Weight Gain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Chronic Pain and Weight Gain

I have chronic pain due to degenerative joint disease and fibromyalgia that all started after a near fatal auto accident. I am currently on Celexa and Methadone and I have gained over 30 lbs. Will a combination of these 2 meds cause you to gain wight? I weigh more than I ever have and more than I did when I had my son. I used to have a really high metabolism. I had a hard time gaining enough weight when I was pregnant. Now, no matter what I do or try I either gain more weight or don't lose anything. Please help! Is there another combination of meds I can use? Do these meds alone or together cause weight gain?
Anna-I am on the same combination and I have same dx. I just gain 20 lbs! I hate it. I have been trying to exercise and diet and nothing has helped, I heard methadone makes u gain? Merry Xmas,

Inga
Welcome to the PM community.
It is known that opiates do cause sugar cravings and weight gain. A different medication may help though. I know that I struggle with my weight and the sugar cravings too. I use to take Elavil for my Fibro and it was horrible as all I wanted was sweets.
I suggest speaking to your Doctor about trying something different. I have a strict rule for myself and that is no sweets after 4pm and I try and have dinner before 5pm and exercise before bed.
I know it is very hard to exercise with chronic pain and dieting is not an answer either as a healthy diet is the best option.
Maybe a program like weight watchers may help. I know it helps me when I do it as I have someone else to "compete" with:)
Having to weigh every week and having a goal also helps.
I just started taking Lyrica, however I believe we just have to watch our food intake and what we eat. I do exercise three days a week . I an still about 30 lbs over weight but even on drugs that have a history of weigh gain I have lost 60 lbs by simply not giving in to the wrong foods at the wrong time . I wish all well
Dale