Chronic Pain and Weight Gain
I have chronic pain due to degenerative joint disease and fibromyalgia that all started after a near fatal auto accident. I am currently on Celexa and Methadone and I have gained over 30 lbs. Will a combination of these 2 meds cause you to gain wight? I weigh more than I ever have and more than I did when I had my son. I used to have a really high metabolism. I had a hard time gaining enough weight when I was pregnant. Now, no matter what I do or try I either gain more weight or don't lose anything. Please help! Is there another combination of meds I can use? Do these meds alone or together cause weight gain?
Anna-I am on the same combination and I have same dx. I just gain 20 lbs! I hate it. I have been trying to exercise and diet and nothing has helped, I heard methadone makes u gain? Merry Xmas,

Inga
Welcome to the PM community.
It is known that opiates do cause sugar cravings and weight gain. A different medication may help though. I know that I struggle with my weight and the sugar cravings too. I use to take Elavil for my Fibro and it was horrible as all I wanted was sweets.
I suggest speaking to your Doctor about trying something different. I have a strict rule for myself and that is no sweets after 4pm and I try and have dinner before 5pm and exercise before bed.
I know it is very hard to exercise with chronic pain and dieting is not an answer either as a healthy diet is the best option.
Maybe a program like weight watchers may help. I know it helps me when I do it as I have someone else to "compete" with:)
Having to weigh every week and having a goal also helps.
I just started taking Lyrica, however I believe we just have to watch our food intake and what we eat. I do exercise three days a week . I an still about 30 lbs over weight but even on drugs that have a history of weigh gain I have lost 60 lbs by simply not giving in to the wrong foods at the wrong time . I wish all well
Dale