Pain Management Community
Clinic drug testing...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Clinic drug testing...

My question is pretty simple, but very important none the less. I went to pain management today for the first time and actually got meds to manage my pain. Of course I got the rundown on what they expect, signed papers etc and was told about random drug tests they do. This doesn't bother me because I have nothing to hide, but something else came to mind. When I take my meds, I take them very sparingly (2 x a week max) to avoid dependance. Knowing that opiates clear your system in 72 hrs, what would happen if they tested me and did not find the prescription in my urine? Would they think I was selling them and kick me out? I do not want to use everyday just so I can pass the tests! That's ridiculous!! It has taken soooo long to get where I am now, and I don't want to lose this. Am I fretting over nothing, or is this a legitimate fear?
By the way, I was prescribed Roxicodone 15mg as needed, And ibuprofen 600mg as needed. No extended release meds at this time.
Thank you guys so much.
i wouldnt worry about it. If you arent using that many pills, then you should have plenty to show them when/if they call you in for a pill count. THey usually do a pill count and drug test at the same time. so if you tested negative for your medicine, you would be able to justify why that happened as you would have lots of extra pills still, kwim?
I WOULD worry about it. I read about the extra issue frequently on this forum.  Ppl are  was kicked out of a PM Clinic because what was suppose to be in their urine drug screen wasn't or something showed up that shouldn't have been there. I don't want to frighten you but drug tests can have only a 60% accuracy and PMP do not, cannot take this into consideration. Ppl will swear that they took their narcotics as ordered. Or like you, didn't take one that day or maybe the day before because they felt they didn't need it, or only took what was prescribed and the drug screen says otherwise. They beleive the drug screen, not the patient.  

Read your contract very carefully and make sure you PMP knows that you do not take the medications as prescribed, that you only take them on a PRN bases. You should establish this with the PMP now. Agree to bring in your bottles every visit so they can tell you are not taking them or selling them. If the PMP is agreeable to this and will consider the drug test results according to your independant or sporadic dosing than you should be ok. Most PMP demand that you take them as prescribed, without exception.

Be cautious Red and protect yourself.
Tuck is so right.
Also get everything in writing!
This kind of attitude really makes no sense. I get that they would test me for illegal substances which I do not use, but to test me for my meds and kick me out for not taking enough!??
I would think that a doctor would be happy that you are not going overboard and abusing your scripts(or selling them). I will not change my lifestyle and become dependant because they require it. If it comes down to it, I'll voluntarily leave the clinic and return to what I was doing before.
My medication is written on an as needed basis, if I don't need meds for 5 days in a row...Thats great news to me!!!  It's a sick world today, and we are the victims.
Sorry for ranting, and thank you for your replies. Hopefully it does not come down to that, but if it does...at least I tried.
your right Red of course. If the meds are written on a PRN basis then you should have no problem. As I said though get it in writing that you do not take your meds on a daily basis and that you may fail a surprise drug test because of that.
Talk to your doctor and explain this in detail. You want to have the doctor understand you do not want to take meds you do not need but want to abide by their rules!
And as Sandee said, you're correct. Because your meds are written as PRN the PMP should understand if a surprise drug screen returns negative for opiates. But as Sande said make sure that your contract contains that wording or similar wording that will protect you.

I just see so many threads from ppl that have been dismissed from PM Clinic's because their drug screen didn't reveal what the clinic thought it should. I am just trying to help you avoid these kind of issues in the future. I may be over reacting due to the threads I have read on this forum. Please read the recent thread from the person who's physician refused to prescribe narcotics because of her (inaccurate) drug screen.