Pain Management Community
Clonipin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Clonipin

I have been given this drug for pieriformis syndrome and sciatic pain. It has worked well . I had numerous Pain Blocks and every test and needle imaginable. Can this drug be used safely for life and id there any chance that it could cause side effects that cause me to think I smell something awful?
Help I am loosing faith in doctors!
I have taken Klonopin .5 mg for over 3 years now.  And, yes, you will read horror stories about it...when you attempt to come off.  I did that...I tried to come off of it and went into some major withrawals.  So, I had a long talk with my Neurologist.  She told me she has patients on much higher doses and yes, for life.  Anyway, I thought I was becoming tolerant to it but obviously I wasn't.  It's a long story.  But I am staying on it because it is the only thing that seems to help with Central Pain Syndrome.  And I have never heard of the SE you are speaking of.  Actually, I never had any major SE's with it.  It just quieted down my CNS and helps me sleep.
Oops, forgot to add something else that is going to sound bizzare.  I have pelvic floor dysfunction.  And part of the pain was the Piriformis and Sciatica-type of pain.  I went into Pelvic Floor PT and was amazed!  For several years I have had this and tried everything...like you said.  But it was the PT that fixed it all!  I could NOT believe it.  Actually, I almost didn't go.  And one more thing...I don't know if you are a woman or a man.  But the PT gal told me...men get this too!  
Yes I am a female. IMy doctor told me the same thing about clonipin but I have been scared. Thanks for sharing. I went to PT and still do the CORE building exercises daily. I am afraid to stop taking the clonipin to see if I am better. I tried to stop and got so irritible and nervous that I felt worse and went back on. It does help me sleep. I take the .5 dosage as well. Thanks for meking me feel safer and better.
Klonipin or clonazapam was designed to treat seizures and was found to assist those in chronic pain, espcially spastic conditions triggered by other root causes.  I take 1mg up to 3x per day and have stopped or taken a drug holiday every once in a while without any ill effects at all.  Keep in mind that each patient has a unique reaction to all these meds and what happens to me likely will not happen to you.  If you are going to test the efficaciousness of Klonipin (klonopin), try breaking a .5 into half (.24) for a day or two (maybe even a week) and then take a drug holiday.  Avoid sudden changes in your dosage with the consent of  your dr.   I have found that Klonipin (klonopin) also mitagates the frustration component of contact pain.  All the mechanism of these meds are not known, even by the inventor.  You must take charge and carefully modify the dosage.  Most all pain meds are described as both a CNS depressant to help with pain, but also it is recognized that the more pain the patient is subject to the more stress is created and thus the pain is magnified somewhat.  Stay calm as you can, make small changes, keep a diary, and use the history as abasis to help your doctor help you.  When you just show up in the dr. office and aren't organized somewhat the dr. gets only a small snapshot of your life.  Better care comes from keeping a good history with detail of your pain and your emotional state.

Take care and be well.
God Bless

Crash0427
What is the Pelvic Floor PT? And where can I get It? Please help Thanks Pam