Pain Management Community
Constant burning pain underneath left shoulder blade, radiating up thro...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Constant burning pain underneath left shoulder blade, radiating up through left side of neck.

I have been experiencing an intense, burning pain in my upper back, underneath my left shoulder blade. This pain radiates up through the left side of my neck. This pain has been there for at least 3 years, in which during this time I have seen multiple doctors who don't have an answer for me. I have been referred and followed through with programs such as massage therapy & chiropractic services. I have yet to commit to physical theraphy because I honestly don't have the time to commit to an 8 week program. I am hoping to get an MRI in efforts to find out "what" is really wrong with me. I remember when this pain first started, it began as I was working on my AAB, taking on-line courses, in which I was sitting in front of the computer all day at work, then coming home and sitting in front of my PC working on homework. I am wondering if this pain was caused by poor posture and could be sometthing as simple as a pinched nerve... if anyone has had a similiar experience, please add any helpful advice. Thanks in advance.    
I have the same problem with my shoulder,but it don't hurt my neck. Let me know what you find out.    BUDDYBULLDOG
I have been having the same thing.  It started a few weeks ago and sometimes I can't sleep on that side as it hurts so bad.  I went to the ER because I'm also pregnant and they told me it was either my stomach being squished by my growing uterus or a strained muscle.  
The other night I walked around for a while sipping a pumpkin latte and it was like a combination of the two that made it hurt so bad I was gasping for breath.  I wasn't sure if it was heartburn from the latte or muscle strain.  Really strange.
As for it radiating up the side of your neck:  I have constant pain on the left side of my neck, shoulder and arm.  Also on both sides of my neck and base of skull from some herniated discs and DDD.  It's possible the under-the-shoulder blade pain is also caused by a disc herniating and irritating a nerve but it feels different to me.
If you find anything out, let me know too!! I am a dental assistant and I have had this type of pain for 15 years now. I have had a c6/7 fusion and a left minor pectoralis tenotomy. Neither surgery helped. I have also tried pt, massage, cranial sacral, seen the orthopedic doc, had two MRI's and nobody "see's" anything blatantly wrong. Yet sometimes it hurts so bad I just want to saw my whole arm off.

To help I use a back roller (the big thick foam kind) under that arm and roll on it. It's hard to describe, but basically it pushes into my arm-pit...there is a big muscle in there that controls your shoudler and has a big nerve that runs through it and it can release it some and feel good. I also roll on the blade in the back. I also use heat on it a lot and stretch it out. As far as the neck goes, sometimes I roll on tennis balls

I feel for ya...I have a laundry list if issues and they have slapped a fibro diagnosis in me, but if I could take away the shoulder and neck pain I could deal with the rest!!
I like this rolling idea!  No one has ever suggested that to me before but it souds nice!  I think I will get a bag of tennis balls and try it!  I will also look for one of these "back rollers.  A chiropracter I used to see had a back rolling machine, but this roller sounds like it could be good for home!
Oh, they are AWESOME!! I couldn't live without mine. I've seriously thought about getting one for work for my lunch breaks! They are great for lower back pain too. You can also lay on them the long way and stretch. I got mine a long time ago from a physical therapist. I think you could probably find one at a medical supply store.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ANL2WQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00079DZTC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1H8V828Y9XEN5MTR41Q7

That is a link to one similar to the one I have. I bet you might also be able to find one at a sporting goods store. I will mention that I wouldn't use my roller much towards the end of my pregnancy (only the long way), but it was great for afterward to get things back into place!
Thanks!  That looks pretty good!  I think having anything to massage my neck/shoulders/back at this point would be great.  My DH has nerve damage in his hands and can't really do much massaging so I have to get my 9 year old to give me massages or just live with it.  
So do you, like, roll your body on it on the floor or other surface.
On the floor. Sideways or the long ways. I also just lay on mine while I watch tv and allow it to rest gently on pressure points. And then in diagonal in the arm-pit for the shoulder release. I have found all sorts of ways to use it over the years! LOL...
Thanks to all who have commented back to my post. I am sorry to hear that many of you are enduring similiar pain. I appreciate everyone's feedback, and if I find anything out that helps/ takes away some of the pain I will write back.