Pain Management Community
Contin MS & Hydrocodone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Contin MS & Hydrocodone

I have been given Hydrocodone 10mg/500mg for my disability pain since August.  My dr set me up with a pain management specialist, who I saw on Monday.

He prescribed me more Hydrocodone 10mg/500mg along with Contin MS 15mg.  He says the Contin MS lasts 12 hours, is time-released, so I won't need to take as many Hydrocodone during the day (can probably go down from 4-6/day to 2/day).  That's what we're aiming for, at least.

Because of a recent 'scrip, my Hydrocodone can not be filled until Sunday, but I will run out a day or two before that, depending how well the Contin MS works.  My worry is that when I ran out a couple days before awhile back, I suffered from withdrawal symptoms (felt sick, clammy, depression, shakes, panic attacks, etc.)  I am very sensitive to medicines, so this did not surprise me - though I'm not at all happy to realize my body has probably become addicted to the Hydrocodone.

In light of this, I'm very happy the Contin MS will allow me to take less Hydrocodone on a daily basis (though not thrilled, again, that I might also become addicted to the morphine of the Contin MS).  I'm scared.

My question, however, is this...if I run out of Hydrocodone before my 'scrip is filled on Sunday, will I still have withdrawal symptoms if I am taking the Contin MS?  I know they are both considered "opioid analgesics", but are they "same thing" to my body?  I'm just worried because I don't want to experience that awful feeling again, even if it's just a couple of days!

Thanks in advance!
Tags: MS Contin
No worrys you will be fine the ms will cover you fine and you should get a private pharmacy as they will work with you if your rx needs to filled a little early. the ms will keep you fronm hurting till you get your other meds though
  MS Contin 15mg is going to releive the problems just don't take them more than perscribed, if you take one every twelve hours it will control the pain. This is my script also. You are what they call dependant not addicted, addicted is for recreational users and people that need the high. A true chronic pain sufferer would not risk loosing the meds for a quick high.

Harry
Thank you so much, both of you, for your advice.  I see what you mean by "dependent" and not "addicted".  It's true I that I need these meds for my pain, and am absolutely upset to realize my body feels it "needs" them.  I wish I didn't have to live on pain medication, honestly. :(
I am starting the morphine 15mg in the morning. My dr will not order me anything for in between, so feel lucky that yours was. My dr indicated that I just needed to not overdue it and it will start holding me over. I'm really praying that it will work. I just want my life back.

Good Luck and God Bless

Barb