Cracked rib?
Just recently I've been having intense pain in my upper left side ribs when I breath deeply, cough, or laugh etc. I don't have any bruising or bumps etc and I can touch the area without feeling much pain but it almost feels like a broken rib. Could I be right or is it something else?
Hi Jessy,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am sorry to hear about your pain. There are no physicians on this forum. Some of us have various medical backgrounds but none of us are experts.

Have you recently had an URI? Could the rib pain be related to a former virus that has provoked a pleurisy and/or similar inflammation? Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura which is a two layered sac that holds the lungs and separates them from the chest wall. The symptoms you describe are similar to those of pleurisy.

If you are young it's rare to fracture a rib without sustaining any trauma. I know nothing about you including your sex. You have not completed most parts of your MH Profile.  With age and hormone changes bones can become less dense and fractures can occur spontaneously. I don't know if that is a possibility for you or not.

There is also a condition called Costochondritis. This is an inflammation of the cartilage where the generally occurs where the ribs attach to the sternum. It is more likely to occur in the lower ribs because of the poor blood supply to the cartilaginous tissue & ligaments. However pain from this condition can occur in other areas of the ribcage.

I encourage you to consult your PCP. I hope you'll soon be feeling better. Feel free to add more information including updates.

Best of Luck,
~Tuck