Pain Management Community
Cramping in arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Cramping in arm

Ive had pain in my upper right arm for the past few months. The pain is like a spasm & usually occurs when I lift my arm up somewhat high. When I bring my arm back down, the spasm starts  & the only thing i can think to do is hit it with my my other fist. It's an instense pain, like a cramp that gets worse & then slowly subsides after about 20 seconds. It appears to be in the muscle area in the upper, outside part of my arm, right below my shoulder. At first I thought i might have strained it, but if so, I would think it would be getting better by now, as Ive had this problem for at least 4 mo. Its possible this could also be a repetative movement injury, but not real sure.
Could this be your rotater cuff?  Google that.  If your having spasms ask Dr. for Somas.  They are non narcotic but helpme so much for my back.  They say use ice alternating with moist heat.  Dont hit it with your fist.  You could do more damage.  Maybe massage it.  Also low potassium  can cause cramps.  Lots of luck.
Here is what I found when i looked up rotator cuff :

Rotator cuff injury symptoms may include:

Pain and tenderness in your shoulder, especially when reaching overhead, reaching behind your back, lifting, pulling or sleeping on the affected side
Shoulder weakness
Loss of shoulder range of motion
Inclination to keep your shoulder inactive

And it sounds like what I have, but when I looked at where the rotator cuff is, it appears its more in the shoulder, where my pain is a few inches below the shoulder. But maybe it is the same thing...I have some pain when I sleep on that side & also when I take my bra on & off, I reach my arms above my head & then it will start spasaming again, so now I dont lift my arm at all, if I don't have to. I dont want to end up with frozen shoulder. I also dont really want to go to the Dr if its something I can help to mend on it's own.  Thanks for your help!
It sounds like you are having muscle spasms. You mention repetitive movement, do you use your arm in a repetitive motion often such as at work? Often the repetitive injuries are in the wrist but it is possible in the area your having trouble also. As mentioned above you could also have problems with your rotator cuff, they have included some good information above. I have cramps I call them in my legs like you describe and I too will hit them and massage them with my fist until the pain subsides some.
Have you had any test done? I would suggest seeing an orthopedist to see if you can have the problem medically treated.
Let us know how your doing:)