Deep pain and numbness in top of right leg for at least 6 months
i have a deep pain in my upper right leg, right in the middle of it. It has been there for months, and is sometimes numb, but mostly throbs deeply while I am in bed. Sometimes it causes insomnia because it's like a burning pain. In the past month, it seems to have travelled down to right above my knee. Help!
Hello AzMelissa,

Please forgive my tardy response and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am so sorry for your deep thigh pain.

It doesn't sound like this pain initially was nerve related because it began in the middle of your thigh. Or does it radiate from another source? That fact that it is radiating to you knee now may be a worsening of your condition or less likely nerve involvement. There are several things this could be related to but I would be only guessing.

In my opinion it is important that you consult your PCP. An x-ray could answer some initial concerns. If that is negative then they can move up to more comprehensive imaging.

Pain is the notice from your brain that your body needs attention. So please make an appointment and get to the bottom of your pain. Please let us know how you are doing.  I hope that you'll share the results of your appointment. We will be interested in hearing your updates.

I wish you the very best and hope that you will soon have a resolution to your pain.

Take Care,
~Tuck
It sounds like sciatica, which is pain resulting from irritation of the sciatic nerve. The pain of sciatica is typically felt from the low back to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee. The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and begins from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back and extends through the buttock area to send nerve endings down the lower limb.

Sciatica is most commonly a result of a disc herniation directly pressing on the nerve, any cause of irritation or inflammation of this nerve can reproduce the symptoms of sciatica. These causes include irritation of the nerve from adjacent bone, tumors, muscle, internal bleeding, infections, injury, and other causes.

Best of luck to you.