Pain Management Community
Difference btw hydrocodone and oxycodone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

What is the exact difference between hydrocodone/Vicodin/ loratab and oxycodone/ Percocet? I know Percocet is supposed to be lil stronger but what is the real difference? Does one work better on other pains? What's the difference btw hydro and oxy? Thanks!!
vicodin, lortab, lorcet - all contain the narcotic HYDROCODONE while percocet contains the narcotic OXYCODONE.  They have different chemical make-ups.  All of the hydrocodone meds I listed also contain acetaminophen (tylenol).  As far as I'm aware, they do not make a hydrocodone pill that does NOT contain acetaminophen.

Percocet also contains acetaminophen, however, you can get oxycodone alone wthout the acetaminophen in it.  Oxycodone can also be obtained in a long-acting formula called Oxycontin.

Since everyone is different and their pain is also different, it's impossible for anyone to say whether one is better than the other.  I'd suggest talking with your doctor about pain control if you require it and let him/her suggest/prescribe what he/she thinks is most appropriate for you.

Best of luck!
Geminigirl explained the differences between Percocet and Vicodin very clearly.  I would just add that based on pharmacology, hydrocodone (contained in vicodin, lortab, norco) is about 0.6 times the strength of morphine (i.e., 10 mg of morphine equals 16 mg of hydrocodone).  Oxycodone (contained in percocet, roxicodone, oxycontin) is about 2 times the strength of morphine (i.e., 10 mg of morphine equals 5 mg of oxycodone).  Therefore, 5 mg of oxycodone is about 16 mg of hydrocodone so oxycodone is about 3 times stronger than hydrocodone.  However, geminigirl is right in that everyone is different.  I have read that some say hydrocodone works better for their pain than percocet and viceversa.  For me, percocet works a lot better for my pain.

Hydrocodone does not come without acetaminophen...yet.  There is a drug in development called, Zohydro that would be a long-acting form of hydrocodone without acetaminophen.  Clinical trials are underway but the drug won't be on the consumer market until probably early 2014.

femmy
Thank Femmy! That's basically the answer I wanted! I knew all the other info that Geminigirl said but I just wanted to know the pharmaceutical info detail. Like why is oxy stronger and what makes it oxy and what makes it hydro... I know their synthetic derivatives of codeine. I've taken both. Oxy is a lil stronger but makes me itch more and makes me agitated. Thanks both of y'all!;)
I acctually did hear about the new Vicodin coming out with just hydro in it! It's about freaking time!!! Lol
I'm still not sure of the exact difference in the oxy and hydro. Years ago when I started to PM my PC was giving me the hydro, and because I was not getting the best relief on the hydro, they started me off on Percocet and I understood that it was stronger, They had to take it out of a locked box at the pharmacy and all that, so I thought I would finally get some relief, but low and behold, it barely did anything, and caused me to itch, so they changed me back to hydro. I am 10 yrs later and still using the Norco 10/325 and it does still work amazingly pretty good, but my now pain mgnt doctor gives me 5 mg oxydodone twice a day in addition to the Norco for more relief. I didn't realize it at the time but that is Percocet which I took yrs ago, and I noticed when I got this that it didn't seem to help much at all. But my real question here is why does it make me itch? The hydrocodone does not. I didn't notice it last month that much, but this month it has been bad on the itching.
I itch with all narcotics. They cause a histamine release so usually taking Benadryl will help if it isn't a severe itch I can't have morphine because I literally rub my face and arms raw and Benadryl does nothing.
Hydrocodone can be found without acetaminophen. There is a combination of hydrocodone and ibuprofen which is called vicoprofen. Just an FYI.
I can't take any anti-inflammatory meds, boy, you talk about a stomach ache!
And,I'm sorry that I can't, because with this arthritis it would help. I am still struggling with this oxycodone thing just not seeming to do anything for my pain. Everybody keeps saying how much stronger it is but I can honestly say I can't tell that it does anything for me. I get 5 mgs twice a day, and even taking them together, nothing. I am to see my pain doctor Monday and I am going to plead with him to just give me back an extra hydrocodone like I use to be on. I know they fear for the   acetaminophen affects on the liver, but it is pretty much a waste of money. Does anyone have any idea why it just doesn't work?
One thing I have not see anyone say about the differences in hydrocodone and oxycodone is that hydrocodone is schedule III while oxycodone is a scheduled II...... I am a nurse who also suffers chronic pain due to 3 spinal surgeries & I am a chronic pain sufferer activist, and the reason many doctors will write hydrocodone and not oxycodone is due that difference in scheduling, unfortunately the DEA frowns upon doctors who write for pain meds as the war on rugs I actually a war on he pain patient an the doctors who treat them
If I understand what you are saying dmoe32 I agree with you.  I too am in chronic pain because of a twisted spine caused by polio.  I've tried everything and the only thing that helps at all is narcotic pain meds.  With the government involvement it is getting harder and harder to get the meds I need to function.  I wish there was some way to convince the powers that be that at my age it doesn't really matter if I am dependent on meds as long as I can still function.
  Itching is common for ppl on opiates. Its often due to an allergy to something in the medication. It could be to the hydro itself or to one of the inactive ingredients in the pill. Only by experimenting with different meds can you narrow it down to exactly what U R allergic to.
I agree.  At my age and health, what is the problem with being addicted?  I have arithiritic, which grows spurs and have permanent back problems.  I need 2 knee replacements.  I can't funtion without pain medicine and I am almost 70. Just let me be comfortable for what time I have left!!!!!  I have degenerative disc and bone disease, am diabetic, have migraines, I can hardly walk because of severe knee pain.  Daddysgirl600