Pain Management Community
Does oxycontin and oxycodone show up as the same thing on a drug test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Does oxycotten and oxycodone show up as the same thing on a drug test? I have been taking 6-8 oxycodone per day for over a year for medical reasons and was wondering If i were to take a drug test on monday or tuesday and take a 20MG oxyconton on friday or sat will it show up as im taking oxycodone or would it know im taking something else(I know they are basically the same thats why im asking)
The drug test is probably a more complex one scine its from my pain clinic doc. PLease dont answere if you dont know or if your guesing, I see posts were everyone always has their different own opinion and opposite answeres, I would really like the accurate answere. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Sounds like seeking for an answer and I feel something isn't right. Is Oxycontin prescribed by your pain clinic? I would assume no since you are asking that question and from what you said on post. That makes it suspicious. All I can think of its possibly prescribed either by ER, different dr, or illegal (bought from street, etc).

Hi jctz:

With the complexity of the testing done these days, clinics or labs can tell each and every drug that has entered your system. Oxycontin will show up as such. I had asked my PCP this very question last Friday and his response was that of which I just mentioned. So the answer is YES...it will show up as Oxycontin even though they are in the same family.

I agree with Sunflower when she says that something is not on the up & up. Please don't ruin your pain therapy provided by your Doctor. It will be very hard to find another Doc that is willing to treat you. Take care,
Mollyrae
This is an accute answer. You have nothing to worry about as long as you are taking the medications that are prescribed by your PM Clinic for you and in the manner that they are prescribed.

I am in total agreement with Sunflower and Mollyrae, something smells fishy. Don't ruin your pain therapy and reputation in the medical community. Some patients think they are able to fool the PMP but it is inevitable they don't get away with it for long. If you are taking something that is not prescribed for you, you will be caught. If not this time, than next time. They do not have to notify you when they will do a drug screen. They can call you in at any time, count your pills and run a drug screen. When caught you will be red flagged. And worse yet hard pressed to find any physician that will treat your pain again. Indeed you may even be reported to law enforcement. It just happened this week to a patient that is treated at our local clinic. She was handcuffed and hauled out of the clinic and taken to jail. The authorities also arrested several members of her family. It was not a pretty sight.

I did see your other post that was apparently removed. If I have misread your post(s) or intentions I apologize.

Tuckamore
sorry this was like 2 months ago. Completely agree with you... three days ago i was called and asked randomly to come into the office with my percocet and soma and they laid them out and counted them and gave me a drug test. I dont abuse medicine but people that do are ruining treatments for people actully in pain...
This thread is over 2 years old.  Sunflower hasn't been active in over a year.  :{

I just wanted you to be aware that you probably won't get answers on this thread.

IF you will re-post your question on your own thread then you will get the  responses that you are looking for.

I'll be looking for your NEW post...........Sherry                          
Hi Nate,

You are so RIGHT!!! Unfortunately there is nothing we non-abusers can do but abide by the rules.

Peace,
~Tuck