Pain Management Community
Drug test and antibiotics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Drug test and antibiotics

Hello all,

I have been in pain management for a couple of years now and have not had any issues. Actually my doc is very good and I like him a lot At my last appointment they did my first random drug test and it came back as it was supposed to. I do take my meds exactly as prescribed. I have been trying to do some swimming exercises to try to cut down on the pain and of course I got an ear infection. So I have been taking prednisone, Sulfameth/trimethoprim, and cipro drops. I will be taking the Sulfameth until Sunday and my appointment is Monday. The question is this, if they do another test will this mess anything up. After reading all the horror stories I am a little concerned. I will obviously bring the bottles of these meds with me just in case and tell them before hand but I would like to know if these will do anything to the test if I get one.
Hi Architex,

You are doing the correct thing in taking all of your bottles with you.  Don't be afraid to express your concerns to your Doctor.  I'm sure that your doctor knows that you are taking your Meds as they are to be taken and has no worries about you doing what is right.  Still, it doesn't keep us from worrying when we have to take a UA test.  These stories are very frightening on here and I went through the very same fears that you did the first time I had to take a UA test.  I told my Doctor my fears and why I was fearing it (I told him about the MH site) and he laughed and told me then that sometimes the internet can cause a lot of unfounded fears.  He was right and i had nothing to worry about, but i still do when ever I have to take one.  I've only had 1 a year since I've been going to him.  I know that he trusts me because I've had so few done.  But the stories do get to me.  It's the antibiotics that I fear the most as you do.  Just continue to be up front with him and take those bottles with you!!

Let me know what he says about your question and the effect the antibiotics will or will not have on your test.

Best wishes and I'll be looking for your update...........Sherry  ;)
Hi Architex,

It's good to hear from you again... and I understand your concern.

The ATBs (Antibiotics) and Steroid should not effect your Drug Screen UA. We all fear those screens, even though we take our meds as prescribed. Unfortunately there is a high percentage of false results. Your concern is justified.  However errors are most commonly associated with human error. We have no control over that.

As suggested take your meds with you but I doubt your PMP will even want to view them. The drug screen is not looking for those medications and again, they should not effect the results.  

I do encourage you to stand watch over your UA until you see it properly labeled. I refused to leave the lab until I could see they had labeled my UA correctly. The Lab Tech wasn't real happy with me but the "Chain of Custody" was very lacking in my PM Clinic.

Each PM Clinic may function a bit differently but mine assured me they were more concerned with illegal substances then a bit higher or lower level then what they anticipated it should reveal.

Please let us know how this turns out.... but I wouldn't lose sleep over this. I doubt you are in anymore danger of a false results then if you weren't on these medications.

Best of luck to you. I'll look forward to your updates.

Take Care,
~Tuck  
Thanks for the info guys. I will give you an update after my appointment Monday. I am so looking forward to my trip in 10 days. I just hope the 10 hour flight doesn't kill me. :)
Good Luck on Monday!!!

Where are you going on your Trip?  It sounds like you will be having a "fun" time!! I'm hoping that the 10 hour Flight doesn't "kill you" either.  :)  Just relax and have a Great Time!!!

I'll be watching for your update........Sherry  :)
I'll be very interested to hear how your appointment goes on Monday. It's my guess you have nothing to be concerned about.

Have a great time on your trip. Discuss the long flight with your PMP. He may have a suggestion or medication to help ease any increase in your pain duringthose ten hours!

Take lots of pics and please post a few to share with us on your return.

I'll be thinking of you come Monday!
~Tuck
Well that was a lot of worry about nothing. No UA test and my doc said the other meds I was taking wouldn't have effected it anyway. Thanks for all the replies again guys. I am going on the Griswald Euro tour. I will be in London for 3 days, Kinsale Ireland for 4 days and Paris for 3 days. The flight should be OK. I am just not looking forward to it since sitting makes my hip hurt more than normal. I will just have to get up more often and drive my wife nuts. :) I will put up some pics when I get back. I am an architect and am really looking forward to all the buildings I will get to see and take pictures of. Once again thanks for all the info guys.
So happy that there was nothing to worry about after all!!!

We'll be looking forward to seeing the wonderful pictures that you'll be posting.  Have a great time and I'm sure that your wife won't mind you "driving her nuts" more often as long as she gets to go on the trip with you.

Be safe..........Sherry  :)
You will love Kinsale!!!