Pain Management Community
Edward Lieberstein

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Edward Lieberstein

Age 72 play tennis twice weekly. Pain in shoulder. can't lift arm to the side above my head or reach behind my back  or across my chest without pain, Shooting pain from bicep to arm when raised  for hand shake, symptoms since mid  June.
  Have been taking PT about 4 visits no real change. I had an x  ray showed tear in rotator cuff advised it is common for my age group. surgery not  needed
Your comments,
Thank You.
Hi Ed,
As a fellow tennis player I feel for you!  I'm sorry about your injury. The rotator cuff is a common injury with tennis players (besides tennis elbow). I would rest it and take NSAID's like Ibuproin or naproxin for about a week or two if you can. I don't mean don't use it but just don't strain it. Also, try icing it of and on. Then start your own PT at home. Get in the the shower and warm up the shoulder and arm. You can try raising it say an inch with the heat on it and then incrementally when you can do that inch move it up two inches etc. Until you get full mobility. My neighbor was about your age when she tore her rotator also. She adviced this type of self treatment. It takes a long time, so be patient. I don't advice going back to tennis sorry. I can't play anymore either due to a back injury and tendonitis  (both chronic). I hope this helps.
Welcome to the forum. We are not doctors, here. We are chronic pain patients who try to help each other. Just want to also let you know that it's better not to use your real name here (if that is it), because this is a public forum.

If physical therapy isn't working, could your doctor try some type of injections? I'm not sure if that's done for a tear though. Could you possibly see a pain management doctor? There are different types (physiatrists, anesthesiologists, etc.). I'd talk to your doctor and let him/her know that you're still having pain, and that it's effecting your ability to function.

I hope that you get some relief soon.
Hi Ed,

First, I want to welcome you to the PM (Pain Management) Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. We are all CP (Chronic Pain) Patients that help each other with our own expertise and experiences that we have developed through our own CP Issues.

I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulder.  I can't even begin to imagine how much your shoulder is hurting you!!

As Flower said,  none of us are Doctor's on this Forum, so be sure you check with your Doctor before you make any changes to your PT exercises.  I'm assuming that your Doctor sent you to PT, so you definitely need to advise your Doctor that you aren't seeing any results as far as your pain is concerned since starting PT.

It just seems so unfair to have to go through this when you are so active at our age.  Please be sure to let us know what your Doctor says about your pain as we tend to worry a lot about our members on MH.

We'll be looking for your updates.........Sherry  :)