Pain Management Community
Emergency Room Trips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Emergency Room Trips

What happens when you are in sever pain and you call your doctor and he says to go to the emergency room.  The emergency room doc gives you and injection and gives you a small number of a different med for breakthrough pain.  He gave explicit instructions not to take both of the breakthrough meds.  Is it safe to get the meds from the hospital filled since the pm doc sent me there?  Or is that the unpardonable sin?

HELP...Severe pain
In my opinion, your doctor let you down.  If he tells you to go to the ER, he should also leave orders with the ER doc as to what medications you can and cannot take.  If you are unsure about filling the prescription, call your doctor and tell him what the scrip is and ask his opinion on the matter.  Better safe than sorry.  :-)
Hi Fruitcakes,

You ask a good question. I have heard so many horror stories about PM Clinics that I would advise you to be safe, instead of sorry. I would call your PMP and advise him/her of the medications that were prescribed by ER. I would than ask for permission to take the medications.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how you are doing and please take care. Tuck
It worked out pretty good.  I was not scheduled to see my pm doc for  2 weeks.  I've been on avinza for over 2 years and xodol for breakthrough pain for the same amount of time.  The emergency room doctor gave me 20 demerol pills for breakthrough pain.  My pm doc apporved the demerol and made room to see me monday(this).  I hope he changes my breakthrough pain meds to the demerol as it seems to be working much better than the xodol.  I would be so lost without my pain doc.  He takes care of his patients regardless what the insurance co tries to dictate.

Hi Fruitcakes,

I am so glad to hear that this worked out for you. And I am very happy to here the Demerol is working for you. It sounds like you have a wonderful PMP.

Thank you for updating me. I have been wondering how you were doing.

Take Care, Tuck
Thats great news!  Demerol does work well on pain, but I'd be surprised if any doctor would prescribe it long-term.  Apparently there are issues with long-term use, and for a variety of reasons many hospitals are getting away from using it for even post-op pain.  Of course, that's entirely between you and your doctor, I only say this so you'll be prepared if your doctor doesn't want to make it a regular part of your treatment.  Best of luck to you, and I'm glad you got some relief!  :-)
your right jaybay...it sound like the patient here is in need of long term medicines which definetly will not include demerol.it is given out rarely and isnt even being used so much in post op......immediatly after surgery anymore.demerol is out on its own little island nowadays and darvecet may be a possibility but i dont see that as long term pain either.the most common long term treatment of moderate to severe chronic pain is morphine and oxycodone.....which have family members that are as far reaching as their effects.im not a Dr ...and this is strictly my opinion.

good luck and hang on!

regards,

dwnout
Darvocet is worthless for true CP. It's effectiveness equals IB for most ppl. It's rarely prescribed anymore because of it's inability to control pain.

Demerol is highly addictive. It also has numerous drug interaction alerts such as MAO inhibitor some of them being isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam), or tranylcypromine (Parnate). It is not recommended for ppl with Asthma or other breathing disorders as it reduces the respiratory rate interfering with the body's ability to exchange oxygen. It is one of the reasons that medical center are leaning towards other pain medications post-op.

Short term it is a great pain reliever for many ppl. I know it is more effective for me than even Morphine. So you are both correct that she should not expect that Demerol will be utilized as part of her long term pain management plan. I believe Fruitcakes is most likely aware of the fact that this is just a temporary "fix."

Tuck